Monday, September 05, 2011

Lily of the Valley and a Wedding

About 6 months ago, my sister asked me to knit her a shawl for her wedding. Even though I quickly agreed, fear gripped me. I'd never knit something so intricate, so fine. And it had to be perfect. I mean, it would be on her arm for her wedding. That's a lot of pressure. And I really only knit socks. A flurry of emails went between us. I would ask, "what style do you like?" "Surprise me!" she replied. "Would you like ivory or a color?" "Whatever you think." "Thanks for the input," I would think to myself. I settled on the Lily of the Valley Shawl from Lace Style. It's really beautiful and the pattern looked straightforward. On June 16, I finally got underway. As of August 23, it was blocked and drying on my guest bed. On August 27, my little sister was married while carrying it on her arm.

Abra and Dad

Isn't she gorgeous? That's our father, not her husband. (for the record!)

Toasts!

That's her new husband. But you came for the knitting, didn't you?

LOTV Shawl- Finished

Pattern: Lily of the Valley Shawl (Ravelry Link)
Yarn: Alpaca with a Twist Fino in Champagne- 1 skein
Needles: KP Options size US 6
Date Started: June 16, 2011
Date Finished: August 23, 2011
Mods: Are you kidding? I was just trying not to screw it up!

LOTV Shawl- edging Closeup

Edging details. That's the only time I felt like it would go haywire. I had to pick up eleventy million stitches!!!

LOTV Shawl- Details after Blocking

Nupps! Don't be afraid! You only need loose knitting and sharp needles.

LOTV Shawl- Draping

The alpaca has amazing drape. I couldn't be happier with how this came out. I may even knit more lace... someday. But for now, I'm back to my socks.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Knitting Fool said...

Absolutely gorgeous! That is one lucky sister.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning!!! You did a fabulous job!!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Drea said...

It's gorgeous, perfect for a wedding shawl. I'm impressed with the nupps, nupps in lace drive me mad (they slow me down) but they look gorgeous and very well done.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The shawl is beautiful. Best wishes to your sister!

4:02 AM  
Blogger Jeanie said...

Beautiful! Looks like you have been knitting lace forever:)

8:36 PM  
Blogger knitseashore said...

So beautiful -- you did an amazing job! Your sister must have been thrilled. All the best to her and her new husband.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home