Friday, September 04, 2009

The Saga of the Red Kitchen

When we bought this house, I knew one of the first things we would do was pull the wallpaper off the kitchen wall and paint. Little did I know the trials and tortures this would entail.

A week or two after moving in March, I started scrapping. And scrapping. And scrapping. I used fabric softener, Dif gel, a fancy paper scoring tool, and a razor blade. NOTHING worked. And I managed to chunk the dry wall in the process. Yes, the paper was applied directly to the dry wall. UGH!

House- Wallpaper

The wallpaper that refused to come off.


Then, someone at work suggested renting a steamer. Apparently you can rent them at home improvement stores for about $50 a day. Well, for $100 you can buy one and amazon will bring it to me. Say hello to my little friend!



That sucker worked like a charm. It was messy, steamy, and still took 8 hours but the wallpaper finally came off. And with much less wall damage. I figured it was worth buying since I still have 2 bathrooms with wallpaper of doom to pull out.

House- Bye, Bye Wallpaper

Safety first, kids!

House- No More Wallpaper

Finally, the wallpaper was GONE!

Once a color was chosen, painting began...

House- Start of Red

It looked REALLY BAD. I mean this is crapping my pants, thinking about plan B kind of bad.

House- Red Kitchen, Uneven

Oh my goodness! What did we do???? But facebook friends reassured me... just keep painting... And I did.

After 6 coats, the color really became what I wanted. A nice, rich, velvety red that makes the room feel warm and cozy.

House- Red Kitchen

House- Red Finally

House- Kitchen After

Shoot! I should have moved the ladder!

House- Red Backdoor!

The color is off in this one. But you get the idea.

So here we have it... Before...

Kitchen- Before

and After....

Kitchen- After

Kitchen- After 2

Family Room before...

Fireplace

and after...

House- New Couches

The patio furniture finally made it outside.

House- Patio Furniture Outside

Slowly but surely, the house is coming together.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Knitting Fool said...

Wow the kitchen looks beautiful! Great job.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love the red kitchen. It looks great, really nice job!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Oh, I love how the kitchen looks now! Your home is really coming together.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous caitlyn said...

Everything looks beautiful, Nell! Great job on removing the wallpaper. That definitely took perserverance!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

It's beautiful - and I can't even tell you how jealous I am of your cabinet space.

5:36 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

I'll say it is coming together. WOW. THe red is great with your cabinets and countertop. I love the new table by the window as well.
THose outdoor chairs look like they ought to be sat in. And there ought to be some fine knitting time.

The effort really must feel worth it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

I'll say it is coming together. WOW. THe red is great with your cabinets and countertop. I love the new table by the window as well.
THose outdoor chairs look like they ought to be sat in. And there ought to be some fine knitting time.

The effort really must feel worth it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

I'll say it is coming together. WOW. THe red is great with your cabinets and countertop. I love the new table by the window as well.
THose outdoor chairs look like they ought to be sat in. And there ought to be some fine knitting time.

The effort really must feel worth it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Your place is gorgeous! Great job with the kitchen! Love the color you chose. I would have bought one too - what a handy tool to use. You can use a steamer to block knitting items! LOL Double usage!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Its a lovely bit of work, love the red.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Our kitchen is the same color, and I love it! Good choice!

1:04 AM  
Blogger samro said...

Love it! Great job!

8:09 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Awesome makeovers! Red is my favorite color for kitchens. And love the Adirondack chairs!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous tiennie said...

It all looks beautiful! I wish your paint store would have told you to use a primer tinted with your red color. It would have then only needed 2 coats of paint to get it to be even. Red is beautiful but such a pain. We've used it in our dining room and bathroom. :)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Awesome Nell! Love it all. I know it's so much work, but it looks so great!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

You did a lovely job on those walls! I love that red, it's the color my dining room wall used to be before we moved. I miss that room.
I hope it makes you happy every time you look at it!

5:50 PM  
Blogger the Domina said...

Isn't home ownership lovely? Way to go!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

the kitchen is so the heart of the family, its lovely to see your home, its fab, loving the red!!!!!!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

What a fabulous jobe Nell! Everything looks amazing! I am so happy for you:)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Jenny Girl said...

Oh my what were they thinking?!
The countertops are gorgeous but wallpaper?
Great job! I know how horrible taking down that crap is. Looks beautiful.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home