Sunday, June 28, 2009

Welcome Summer

I walk through my little garden everyday. And about two weeks ago, I noticed little green spheres attached to my tomato plants. Guess what?!?! They are tomatoes!

Garden- Tomatoes

The red cherry tomato plant was the first to put on fruit. This one is the biggest. I'm counting on him to turn red. For years I've been growing tomatoes in pots and never got fruit. I probably forgot to water them or they didn't have big enough pots. So this year, I just want 1 red tomato and I'll be thrilled.

Garden- Tomatoes on the Vine

Here's the Super Sweet 100's. The plant is TALL. I read that some people get 300-600 fruit per plant from these. Seriously, I just want 1 from each plant. There's also a Mama Mia plant for sauce. OK, I amend my hopes... I want 1 red tomato from the cherry plants and 1 batch of sauce from the Mama Mia. That would just be awesome!

Garden- Growing...

Look how big the plants are getting! I had to upgrade the tomato cages.

Garden- Lemon Babies


The lemons are growing from the tiny buds...

Garden- Middle Sized Lemon

to actual fruit.

Garden- Orange Baby

The Baby oranges are growing.

Garden- Persimmons growing

Although lots of the persimmons have fallen off the tree, there are still about 20 hanging on. I hope they make it until harvest.

This explosion of growth lately can be attributed to one thing.

Hot out there

Summer has arrived. Thank goodness for AC.

Garden- Wilting Hydrangeas

Even my gorgeous hydrangeas are wilting a little in the heat. Once they get a drink in the morning, they'll be just fine.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger 5elementknitr said...

So lovely! It's great owning your own home and being able to put in a proper garden, isnt' it?

7:10 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

You could top your tomatoes. By removing the main growing part, they tend to fruit more, cuz they think they are dying. Neat trick, huh?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

There's nothing better than a homegrown tomato. It's one of the reasons I love August so much....we have tomatoes every day.
Enjoy your garden - it's lovely!

3:09 AM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I am so jealous of your Sweet 100's. My plant died, never made it outside. I even started a few of them. Next year. They look good! I do have other tomato plants in the garden though.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Its nice to see the garden, its looks similar to mine, without my weeds!

8:40 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Lovely post Nell and ITS ABOUT TIME! he he hee

I don't think you ever get the best crops if they are in containers. we have 5 tomato plants growing . THey were part of a tomato it forward project by my son't horticulture teacher. He grew them by seed. you eat what you can and promise to give the rest to the local food pantry! It is just time to stake ours now. They need some of your heat for sure. Knowing Chicago it WILL come soon.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

Your garden looks great!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Looks like a garden bounty and quite the heat wave! I really miss having a proper garden.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Laura said...

That's a great looking garden, Nell! I had the same reaction when I saw the green globes on my little container plant -- Oh, looky! Tomatoes!

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

I'd pretty much give anything or a good air conditioner right now! Good luck with the garden. I would LOVE a persimmon tree!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home