Saturday, February 07, 2009

Enviro-Napkins

For Christmas, my little sister made us a set of cloth napkins. At first, I didn't think we would use them very much. I mean, look how pretty they are.

Cloth Napkins from Abby

As it turns out, we use them all the time. And they wash really well. In fact, we've pretty much stopped buying paper napkins and paper towels. That's a lot of environmental savings. The only problem? We need more!!!

It started with these.

Napkin Edging

Purchased from Purl. Perfect for napkin edging, I thought!

I did go to Joann's and picked up 3 yards of super cheap muslin for the main panel. A lot of cutting, some edging using Alicia's brilliant tutorial, and a few hours later... Voila!!!

Apple Cloth Napkins

Reusable napkins- 6 green and 6 red. I'm still working on my binding skills. I figure these will get so much use and so many washings that they don't have to be PERFECT. They were really good practice for future quilt binding projects.

Apple Napkins- Stack

Lots of handy cloths to have around the house.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

What a great idea! I always feel bad with all the napkins and paper towels I use. Dang, I wish I knew how to sew...but yet I hate to mend things, really hate to mend things. I'll let things sit in a pile that needs mending forever! Which James doesn't understand when I like to knit etc. I just tell him its not the same thing! Love and hugs!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flippin' adorable!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

What a great idea! Your napkins are delightful! Go green! :)

4:59 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Those are adorable! What a cute idea.

10:37 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

What a clever idea - I love the apples!

10:49 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those are adorable!! Soooo cute!!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Those look great! We love our cloth napkins.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Oh, I'm in love with the apple material. Where'd you find it???

What a good idea to save on napkins! Maybe I'll start doing that. Wonder what my hubby will say to that...

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jenny Girl said...

These are great! I use a lot of paper napkins, but never really thought about it until now.
I may have to try these.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

That is a great idea! I'm a napkin whore and I wind up saving marginally dirty napkins so that they are not wasted. Yeah, very gross, I know.

Great job!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those apple napkins are totally cute. Perhaps an excuse for me to learn how to bind something...

11:20 PM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

We've used only cloth napkins for over 15 years - love them.

Great job, btw.

4:39 AM  
Blogger NatRed2 said...

Those remind me of the ones I made when I was in 8th grade (way back when). I hade made reversible placemates with napkins to match fot my mom. Of course, the fabric selections were not as nice then.
Mom only brought them out for holidays.

You'll be happy to know I stopped using paper napkins 6 months ago, but I don't have anything as pretty to replace them with, I just use a dish towel.

6:26 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Those are fantastic! We go through paper napkins like mad, this is such a great idea. They'd be great for practicing my currently craptastic sewing skills on, too!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made some of my own napkins a while back and I love them. Yours are waaaay cuter though.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home