Wednesday, January 28, 2009

You Never Know

I had a friend in college named Lauren. She was tall, blond, and tough- the kind of girl I always wanted to be. Lauren rowed crew which means getting up ridiculously early for a ridiculously difficult work out. She was loyal, kind, and brilliant. From the looks of things, none of this has changed in the 10 years since I left Amherst.

My favorite story about Lauren involves a bar, dancing, and some pushy women from another school. It ends with punches thrown and Lauren keeping a Corona bottle in her hands as we left "just in case!" The stuff that college legends are made of. (At least at small New England schools where that kind of thing is rare.)

I hadn't seen her in about 6 years. Then, I read in the alumni magazine that she's married her college sweetheart and had a baby boy.

And in between all that, it turns out she is a fantastic writer. Lauren Groff wrote "Monsters of Templeton" which has been named an "essential title of foreign literature for 2008" from La Fnac. It's also a New York Times Bestseller- quite an honor.

Anyway, she'll be in town signing books this weekend if you are interested. Here are dates and locations. I'm hoping to make it to Oakland on Sunday to say hi and buy a book. Gotta support young genius, ya know?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I just read her book a few weeks alone and I loved it. I hope you have fun at the signing.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

This sounds like a wonderful book. I will definitely be adding it to my list of must reads. But first I need to finish Wicked:)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

That's pretty neat that you know someone who wrote a book!

7:38 AM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

How awesome!!! I bought the book, but haven't read it yet.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

That's awesome, I'll need to get the book now, but I wont' make it to a signing.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I love how people from one's past just show up. I found my first love's picture on the net. He's still devastingly handsome. And he's brilliant too. SIGH.....
But your friend sounds amazing. Enjoy the signing! :) I'm sure it will be a nice surprise to see you!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Jenny Girl said...

Have fun meeting up with your friend. I actually started that book and loved it. Unfortunately I had to return it to the library before I could finish it and I'm still waiting to get it back.

P.S.
Tagged you for a butterfly award on my blog

4:35 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

That's awesome!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

very cool!! Don't you feel like you know a celebrity?!?!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Holy cow, I just read that book a few weeks ago! I enjoyed it immensely. Congrats to your friend.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home