Friday, January 09, 2009

I Hate To Say It

But... Did you see Oprah yesterday? It's "best life" week and financial guru, Suze Orman, was on. Don't tell anyone but I was pretty inspired to take more control over our financial situation. (Technically, we are financially separate but the tax man and legally we are one household.)

Suze made some really good points. Here are a few of my favorites. I'm going to try to incorporate these into my life as a way to support Control the Clutter.
*No wants until you are out of debt. Needs only. (For the record, all we have is my school debt. But it's still debt.) I don't promise to be perfect here. But buying something I don't need will not make me happier than being out of debt will.
*Prove that you are wealthy by being financially sound. Not by showing off to the people around you.
*No shame. No blame. Suze was applying this proverb to money but I think it really applies to all areas of my life.
*Have 8 months of living expenses in savings. Yes, she said 8 MONTHS. Wow. That's a lot. She mentioned that in this economy it's taking around 8 months for people to find new jobs once they have been laid off. If you think of it as a total, it's an overwhelming number. But little by little, I want to get to this place. Think about how secure that would feel.

One of the things I'm going to try is Fall In Love With Your Stash Fridays. Since all my yarn is packed away I sometimes forget the loveliness that is my stash. And I'm hoping this will make me more aware. Again, I can't promise it'll be every Friday but I'll give it a go.

First up, a Christmas present from my little sister...

Liberty Farm Worsted

Liberty Family Farms
Yarn- I don't know the color name, content, or length. But it is local to where I grew up. The sheep are raised, sheared, and the yarn is spun in Hart, Michigan. It is SO SOFT. I was the lucky recipient of 2 beautiful skeins. I could pet it all day long.

You have about 3 hours left to enter the contest. So far there are lots of good guesses. But I'm not gonna say if anyone is right until tomorrow. ;)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I love FILWYSF....hehehehe!! I've been watching Oprah all week!! Great episodes to start the new year!!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's a beautiful orange - what is the weight of the yarn? Will it become socks (oh my, I wrote a bad word there the first time) or something else?

4:56 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Pretty yarn...just ordered some similiar to that color of malabrigo...it was called Tiger Lily. hugs

6:14 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

OMG, that looks SO squooshy!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Nice gift from your sister.

I'm watching that episode now as I type this - (PVR!)

Did you download her book? It's the 2009 book by Suzie Orman. It's for free as a download until Jan 15th/09.

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20081119_tows_bookdownload

(the link to the free book)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

We have been slowly (very slowly) trying to sock away $. When we started it was "have 3 months" then it went up to "have 6 months." It's kinda scary to think it's now up to 8 months.

I love ravelry for keeping an eye on my stash. It's true things get stuffed in the bottom of the bin and you forget. Having my stash all there I can peruse it (and I do, especially at work when I need some calm in my life :-) ).

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home