Thursday, January 01, 2009

Hello New Year!

Not being one for resolutions, I've been thinking about my annual goals today.

1. Lose the weight- In 2008, I lost 25 pounds. Woot! This morning I weighed 199 pounds and I'm looking to be around 170. That's roughly 30 pounds from what I weighed when I met Brian.(I never weighed myself in college but I think I was around 170 then too.) It's totally doable. I just need to apply myself a bit more. And if those numbers seem high to you, remember that I'm 5"10" and Dutch- meaning there's a lot of built in hip and thigh.

2. Control the Clutter- We hope to purchase our first home this year. And moving a bunch of crap really does not appeal to me. I just need to go back to asking the question, "Do I really need this?" before buying something. I did a decent job of this in the last quarter of 2008. So I'm trying to keep the momentum going. Not only will this decrease the weight of the move but it will increase the weight of my pocketbook. Knitting from the stash, culling my clothes, and using trading services (ie. Paperbackswap and craigslist) will all contribute to lowering the amount of stuff we have. Spending money more deliberately will keep my focus on what I am so lucky to have not on what I don't.

3. Focus on Other Parts of My Life- Nursing school and finding a new job took up so much of my 2008. I started to lose sight of some of the other areas of my life. I need to read more. Get out of my house and explore my world more. Spend more time with friends and Brian. Just get back to living a richer, fuller life that isn't so 1 note.

Thinking about the possibilities for this year has made me very, very happy and excited. I'm counting this as the last of the 8 days of happiness. I really enjoyed the challenge of focusing on the little things every day that made my life brighter. I can sometimes get bogged down in the little annoyances. This challenge helped me to shift my lense a bit which is always a worthwhile exercise.

Here's to all of you who listen to my ramblings and here's to a fantastic 2009!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

Happy New Year Nell!

Right behind you in the weight loss department! Aren't we all!:)

Good luck house hunting!

hugs to you

6:25 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those are great goals!! Here's to a fabulous 2009!!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Happy New Year. Great post! :)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

You have done so well this year. I hope 2009 is as good!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

What great resolutions! I think we should all follow some of this advice for the new year! You are right we should be more mindful and enjoy the many blessing that are in front of us daily.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Oh Happy New Year!!!

7:39 AM  
Blogger marirob said...

Happy New Year! I know you will keep up with your goals!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Happy New Year! You can do this... lots of work ahead, but you can definitely do it.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

I'm with you on the clutter! It feels so good to purge and to be responsible about spending and not just having stuff to have it. Good luck! I'll be trying to do the same.

8:21 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Excellent goals! I'm with ya on the last one, too. It's too easy to get so bogged down with maintaining your life that you forget to really live it. Here's to changing that in 2009!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on with that weight loss, I'm right there with you...and super-congrats on the loss so far!

I've got 41 to go in 2009. Best!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Jenny Girl said...

Goals just sound better. I think yours are very doable. Along the same lines of mine also. Good luck. Now that you are done with school, you can use that energy towards something else.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I want to lose 32 lbs this year. Never fully lost all the first pregnancy weight before getting pregnant with Mack.

Hoping your 2009 is fabulous!

I hear ya on controlling the clutter as well!

8:56 PM  
Blogger NatRed2 said...

Happy New Year!

I am with you there on not wanting to move the crap. I too plan on de-crapping my house ;) for the same reason- househunting. I have been on a roll lately and plan to keep it going. If I haven't seen it in 6 months then I don't need it.
Congrats on the weight loss...I need to motivate myself in that area.

12:47 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

What a great post! So sensible. I am with you on the de-cluttering (I like the last poster's term de-crepping. nice - I may have to use that!) I love paperback swap - but I also love Amazon - need to do some re-thinking...like the library:) Good luck on the weight loss - I did Weight Watchers years ago and it has continued to be helpful - it's not a diet it a lifestyle, that advice goes for almost anything! Don't get frustrated when you don't see results right away (weight, money, de-cluttering) over time it becomes part of life! Take care!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I think you've got great goals for 2009. Great job on the wt loss! I need to be more mindful of a healthy lifestyle (eating, exercise) as well. I'm finding that the pounds creep on just a bit too quickly after you hit 30, and I'm way past just hitting 30 mind you! The declutter sounds wonderful too. And the yarn-purchasing.....ahem. It's got to stop!

3:24 AM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

Congratulations on the weight loss!
I look forward to a hopefully a better 2009 year, 2008 was horrid for my financial life.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home