Friday, November 14, 2008

Joining the Ranks of the Unoriginal

Still working away on the Super Secret Project. But I had some handspun yarn that just kept staring at me....

Eire Handspun

This is spun out of Corriedale pencil roving from Crown Mountain Farms. It's kind of the perfect first spinning roving since you don't really have to do much drafting. And I'm impatient like that.

Anyway, it's been staring at me for a while. Trying to tell me what it wanted to be. Then, I remembered the Unoriginal Hat. It just seemed perfect for this yarn.

Unoriginal Hat- Flat

Pattern: Unoriginal Hat by The Yarn Harlot
Yarn: Handspun from CMF Corriesdale Pencil Roving- Eire
Needles: Clover bamboo dpn's in 6 mm. I should have waited until I could get 7 mm dpn's but again, I'm impatient.
Date Started: 11/9/08
Date Finished:11/9/08
Mods: I had to make the hat a bit taller. (Should have gotten the right sized needles!) So I did more decrease rounds on the top. Unfortunately, it makes a weird nipple on top of the hat.

Unoriginal Hat- Tip

See? My hat has a reservoir tip! When it's on, you can't even see it. So no big deal. But when it's modeling on a roll of toilet paper, you just have to tuck in the tip.

Unoriginal Hat

Much better!

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Super cute, and what a great use of handspun!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love the colors...very cute!

4:14 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous colors!! I think I have some chunky yarn that would be perfect for this hat...I should make another one for Christmas gifts! Great job!

4:22 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Awesome hat! The colors are fantastic, it came out great.

7:01 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh that really is the perfect pattern for that yarn! Hee! To the reservoir tip!

9:19 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

That came out great I love the color & the pattern

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might call it lazy, I think it's fantastic! I might have to try some pencil roving now to cure myself of thread-width handspun that I seem to have fallen into. Love the hat too, looks so squishy and warm.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Petra said...

I love the colors! That hat looks great in that handspun... the cables totally stand out. Well, the cables and the "reservoir tip". HAHAHAHHA!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colors.

I, too, have the "resevoir tip" with some of my hats. but thankfully they don't show when they're on your head...or they wouldn't get any use.

9:07 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

It's gorgeous! Fab use of your handspun!

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the reservoir tip!! I think it is kinda cute that way!! =] Great yarn and Great hat!

1:54 AM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

Could it be my previous post did not make it through? Or do you screen yours? I can't remember!

Anyways, I had just wanted to say how much me LOVESES that handspun of yours! Gorgeous!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Awesome! I love this pattern and it came out great with your handspun!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I love it! The yarn is beautiful knit.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I really, really like this. I need to check out that pattern for some quick gifts (or for something for myself...whatever!)

9:13 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

So pretty! Your handspun is beautiful and is perfect for that hat!

I made one of those out of Malabrigo and I've made it twice - first time way too small. Up a needle size and made it again. I still think it's too small (it slides up my head to make it's own reservoir tip!). Thinking of pulling it out AGAIN and going up another needle size.

My friend says to try blocking it first but how do you block a hat?? Get it wet and wear it until it dries? Ewww.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Great hat! I love the colors! What a wonderful use of the chunk yarn, and great instant satisfaction!

2:01 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Hee hee! Looks lovely to wear, too

3:09 PM  
Blogger cosymakes said...

beautiful!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

That is very handsome! I love the colors.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

Your such a good spinner!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jenny Girl said...

This is adorable! I forgot about that pattern, and since I need a hat, I dig it out.
Love those colors too!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Oh, wow, the colors are great, and the hat is just beautiful! Great job with your first handspun!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home