Tuesday, November 04, 2008

How I Instill Confidence in My Patients

A couple of weeks ago I took care of a patient with a very thick accent. While I was giving him his medication he asked me, "do you boat?" I truly didn't understand what he was asking me. After I'd asked him to repeat himself 3 times, I was getting kind of embarrassed that I couldn't figure it out. Then he gestured to the TV. There was a commercial for the iphone. So I thought he was asking me if I had bought an iphone. "No," I replied. He asked me why. I said, "It's too complicated." He gave me a funny look. I smiled and left the room.

Later in the day, I went in to check on him. He looked at me with a very serious face and asked me, "Why don't you boat? It is your future!" AHHHHH!!!!! He's asking me if I'm going to vote. "YES! YES! I'm going to vote!" We had a short conversation about the candidates and I left the room.

Then it occurred to me... I accidentally told this man earlier in the day that I don't vote because it's too complicated. Hopefully he wasn't too concerned about the medical care he was receiving!

As you know, it's not complicated at all. So get out there!

10 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

LOL! So funny! I just got done boating! :) Even blogged about it! hugs

11:04 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

That's a cute story. I'm glad you figured out what he meant!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Too funny.

5:32 PM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

Yeah, I got my Starbucks today!-lol! And an even better treat!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

LOL - at least you weren't inserting a foley catheter into the poor man! I could write a book with all the stories I have. Just wait! :)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

So funny!

3:33 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

LOL that was too funny

11:38 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

That's very cute. I'm sure he was as confused as you were.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

That's too funny!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have those same kinds of conversations with my daughter sometimes. It's no wonder they think we're nuts.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home