Wednesday, October 08, 2008

One Month Down

Today is the 1 month mark for Control the Clutter. It really hasn't been easy. And I didn't do as well as I had hoped. But there are definitely times I put things back on the shelves because I knew I shouldn't buy them.

There were non-need purchases. A new alarm clock, bottle of perfume, and books. All of those were purchased on gift cards from work. So very little money was spent. The books will go up on PBS when I'm done. But still, I didn't need them. No extra chap sticks have been purchased. And no yarn. (Sock clubs and already purchased but not yet received yarn excluded.) I'm finding Netflix and PBS a huge help with this endeavor. Entertainment that doesn't cause clutter and doesn't cost any more than what I've already budgeted makes it easier to say no to that shiny magazine at the grocery checkout.

But I can do better. So I'm going to extend this another month. Although, there may be a 1 hour reprieve today because there's a huge book sale at KnitPicks. I'm not made out of wood, you know!

Just so there's no post without a picture. Check out Brian and his brother as kids.



Pretty cute, huh? That's Brian on the left. What a ham!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

What a great challenge. I need to join you in that myself.
I ain't blogging it though. =P

2:43 PM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

How cute! Visual entertainment is always fun! I had to tell you about this: http://tapmouseknits2.blogspot.com/2008/10/ta-duh-look-what-i-got.html

so take a look when you get the chance...

8:57 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

I feel yah on the controlling the splurge. I personally can't resist books, or yarn, or crafty things, or kitchen stuffs, so, basically I just stay away from the stores, but damn the internet! and ETSY! 8)

9:30 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I LOVE Netflix! Second greatest entertainment invention, next to TiVo! And I've never heard of the PBS, will totally have to check that out. I have a stack of books right now that I was getting ready to store in the garage!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

You are braver than I, but this is going to become a necessity as we head toward the holiday season!!
How's the new job?

3:04 AM  
Blogger Jenny Girl said...

Controlling clutter is so tough. My kitchen table is a magnet for clutter.
Do you like PBS? Do you find people want your books?
I've often considered it, because if I buy anymore books....well lets just say storage space is precious.

6:16 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

Great challenge - I may join you this month! After my CA trip, of course.

If you wanted to get rid of the cost of Netflix, the library has free DVDs. I just go online and put what I want on hold and then pick it up later!

Same with books, mag's, CD's, audiobooks, whatever!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

I think this is a great challenge. When you mentioned PBS I was thinking that if you carried a little notepad and pen then when you saw a book you wanted you could jot down the name and then you'll remember the next time you are on PBS.

10:55 AM  
Blogger cluttercontotrol said...

Extra chapstick? I never feel bad about extra consumables. Well, almost never. I guess anything can get out of control. :)

Keep up the good work!

10:58 AM  
Blogger sharon said...

Good for you.
I am trying to remember what I bought that I may not have needed.
DVD's for the gurls. I am going to keep trying - I have 2 more days yet...

6:06 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Good for you!! Keep it up!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Go you - another month of Not buying it! I'm proud of you!

I wish shipping rates in Canada were better, I'd totally do the paperback swap site... but it's DISGUSTING to ship!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home