Sunday, September 21, 2008

Foggy Tesseraes

When I went to Boston this Spring, these socks were the runner up for the "which socks should I knit on vacay" contest. Well, they had to be knit sooner or later, right?

Tesserae Socks

Pattern: Tesserae from KnitSpot
Yarn: Yarn Pirate BFL in Fog
Needles: Size 1 dpn's. I broke about 6 needles knitting these socks- 1 set of ebony and 1/2 a set of bamboo. Did I mention I'm a tight knitter!?!??!
Date Started: 6/27/08
Date Finished: 9/14/08
Mods: None- except I had to knit the XL size due to my gauge. Oof!!! I know my feet are big but....

Tesserae Socks- Detail

Close up of the pattern. I think these turned out beautifully. The YP BFL is very thin and a little splitty. But I loved it anyway. It's so, so, SO soft. And super warm. But maybe BFL is better saved for scarves or cowls. Hmmm...

Also, the new Yarn Pirate Booty Club shipment came yesterday. Click here for a spoiler. Perfect for Fall.

What's next???? Well, as I'm diving into my stash, I reached for the Knit Picks Sock Blank that I dyed at Scout's Fabby Dyeing class. Here it is in the "blank" form...

Dyeing Class- Panel finished

And here's how it's coming together when knitted...

Stripey Socks Started

Pretty cool, huh? We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for being patient with me while it takes me a week to comment and post. I'm still working on balancing the computer time with laundry and talking to my husband time!

And a Control The Clutter update... I'm doing really well when it comes to stuff. Not so well when it comes to eating out. So that's my goal for this week. Try not to buy food EVERY DAY! So unnecessary! Although I didn't bring in more stuff, I still spent too much money this week on food... Try, try again!

Did I mention I finished the first 2 Twilight books?!?!? They are AMAZING!!! I love them. And yes, I'm a little ashamed to be so into teen books. I'm borrowing the next 2 from a friend at Stitch and Bitch on Tuesday. Kind of pathetic. But I love it!

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I love the Tesseraes! I was wondering how the BFL knit up - the old BFL that she had seems like it would be splitty, but it is really soft. I have the same problem with the merino/tencel. But it's making a fabulous scarf!
BTW, I haven't posted in over 20 days now. Nursing does that to you. It sometimes sucks the life out of you. They forget to mention that during school. But then again, it gets better.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Love the finished socks and the new socks. I can't wait to see how the stripes turn out!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love the socks but oh you poor thing on size 1's! Awesome job! I'll have to pick your brain on the soap thing sometime!:) hugs

7:20 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Such pretty socks!! I'm still finishing up quite a few of my "vacay" socks!! Love love love your dyeing too!!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I love your socks, really nice pattern. The sock blank is knitting up nicely too.

11:37 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Those Foggy Tesseraes are truly lovely. Hope you enjoy wearing them!

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The finished socks looks great, and I LOVE how the new one is knitting up!!

3:27 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Those socks are gorgeous!

Good luck with the time management. Try try again is the best medicine. New routines are hard to establish.

Can't wait to see how your sock blank sock turns out!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

This is why I have swtitched to metal socks needles - I have snapped way too many bamboo ones.

5:46 AM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

That first sock is gorgeous! And I love the colors of your hand dyed yarn, fun!

6:30 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

The Tesseraes are fabulous - I still have one lonely one...and that sock blank dyed with THE Scout - gorgeous!! I too got hooked into the Twilight Series at 37 yoa - my sister is almost 30 and she is reading them for a SECOND time, I think a lot of adult women could start a support group! Count me in. (we have taken the day of the movie premier off from our jobs and are planning fancy fondue for dinner, how that for being an addict?!)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

I love the way that sock blank you dyed is knitting up, so pretty! I've been wanting to get into the Twilight books, just haven't went and purchased any. Don't feel guilty, reading is soothing, relaxing and great for your mind!

4:27 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Cool socks!

P.S. Have you given magic loop or the 2-circ method a spin? Metal circs might be less destructive in your needle collection. :)

8:30 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

WOw

You gotta LOVE how that is knitting up. It is almost enough to make me want to try it. I think it is great to read young adult books. Some of the adult lit . out ther is soooooooo angst filled and Oprah book listy. I enjoy creative and entertaining. Oh yes, the socks look so intircate, and lovely

10:10 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

WOw

You gotta LOVE how that is knitting up. It is almost enough to make me want to try it. I think it is great to read young adult books. Some of the adult lit . out ther is soooooooo angst filled and Oprah book listy. I enjoy creative and entertaining. Oh yes, the socks look so intircate, and lovely

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Tesseraes! I think I'm going to have to put those in my Ravelry queue. And you *know* I had to comment on the books. Don't feel guilty...you are one of the MANY women well out of the YA range that are addicited to them. Oh how I heart Edward.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Your Tesseraes are beautiful! Gorgeous pattern and such serene color. I Love them!

Of course that sock blank from scout is proving to be quite a work of art as well--they are coming along nicely:)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

I forgot to mention that I purchased the first two twighlight books based on your and Peaknits recommendation. I really should hurry up as I understand their is a movie coming right...

10:30 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Sorry for the multiple comments...check out what I just a happened to find... in case you have not read this yet:

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilight.html

10:36 PM  
Blogger Jenny Girl said...

The Tesseraes are really pretty.
As are the blanks you dyed. Are they acid dyes? They are a great color combo.

I don't know what it is about teen books. The stories are just better for some reason. Meyers is compelling to read. The woman can write. Glad you liked them.

3:01 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Gorgeous socks! Oh, and just for the record? I LOVED the first Twilight book...I am just starting the second one. (And yes, I'm 33.) heh. Oh and re one of your previous posts, I am right there with you on the have to have the seam of the coffee cup facing away. Totally dribbles if not. I too take the lid off at Starbucks and put it back on to my liking. :)

5:54 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Thanks for the info on the book, still not sure if I'd be into them. (Not so much into Vampires).

I lvoe the colors of your KP sock blank. Can't wait to see how the socks knit up...!

I just did a test knit of Tesserae in Miss Babs yarn for Woolgirl. LOVED that pattern.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home