Friday, September 05, 2008

The Best Lawn Mowers

One of the quirks of the Bay Area is that we use goats as lawn mowers to clear the side of the highways. You'll be driving along the freeway and around the bend there are 200 goats calmly grazing away. I know the places they usually hang out. So imagine my surprise when I took one of the exits leading my my house and there were the goats!

Nature's Landscapers

(Excuse the photos- camera phone!)

White Goat

This particular goat was less than impressed by me. Or maybe that particular patch of grass was extremely delish!

Goats

They didn't seem to mind me too much. But I backed off promptly when this car headed down the hill. Although they are well fenced, there's no need to send them into oncoming traffic!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Now that has got to be the best way to mow that I've ever seen. No gas and you don't have to push the mower around. :)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Rocky said...

That's pretty cool, wonder how much it costs to rent them *)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Very cool! Haven't seen any of these!

3:48 PM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

Send some to my house!!! We hate cutting the grass!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The only problem with the goat herd is that if the shepard isn't watching them well, they'll eat the flora & fauna down to the dirt. Then the goat herd rentee has to go back and spray some erosion control seeding before rain season. Sometimes these goats are a wee bit too efficient.

Other than that, they're great for the environment - no air polluting fuel exhaust and no fire danger from engine sparks.

10:27 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Wow, talk about being eco-friendly!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home