Saturday, August 02, 2008

Lansing Yarn Store Round Up

Wow. The first week of work really took it out of me. Kind of weird because it was really only orientation paperwork and going over general policies of the hospital. Frankly, it was the early mornings that made it so tough. I'm just not used to that! Good thing I'll be working PM shift once things really get rolling. I'm training on AM's though. So I'll have to get used to being up bright and early.

Anyway, I have more to show from my trip. And thank goodness, there isn't much excitement around here at the moment.

One day I drove the hour and a half to Lansing to hit a couple of their yarn stores. Especially the very famous, Threadbear.

Threadbear- Door

If you just looked at the outside, you might drive right by. But then you would be missing one of the best yarn stores I've ever been to. It's seriously yarn MECCA!

Threadbear- Place to Knit

Seriously, this place is HUGE. There were at least 4 different places to sit down and knit or flip through a couple of books. It was amazing. Everyone here was very nice. However, there were quite a few regulars in at the same time as me. The staff seemed happy to let this stranger browse on her own. Or maybe they just couldn't see me for all the mountains of yarn!

Threadbear- Wall of Cascade

The "Wall of Cascade."

Of course, some of the yarn made the trip home with me...

Pagewood Farms- Chugiak

Pagewood Farms Chugiak Sock Yarn- They are a California company and I've never even heard of them.

Bracelet Kit and Tape Measure

In the continuing spirit of trying to buy only things I don't already have, I picked up a Lantern Moon tape measure that looks like a Christmas candy and a felted bracelet kit from Pick Up Sticks.

Next up was Rae's Yarn Boutique. The shop is closer to East Lansing but again, you might have driven right by if you weren't paying attention.

Rae's- Front Door

Rae herself was there spinning away in the front room.

Rae's- Wall of Yarn

There's a green sample sweater on the wall. Another woman came in and asked how much it was. Rae simply said, I can't sell that one but I can teach you to make it. Now, usually the response is "I don't have time for that!" But this lady started to mull it over. I think a new knitter may have been born that day.

Rae's- Front Room

Of course, I love the red wall. And more things jumped into my handbag.

FibraNatura Yummy- 41355

FibraNatura Yummy sock yarn.

Pattern Tamer

I finally bought a pattern tamer- just couldn't resist the cute little bees!

Apparently I was in the mood for blue that day. I didn't really notice at the time but it's pretty obvious when I look at everything together. Of course, I always love blues and greens!

In other news, Weezalana will be getting a little package from me in the mail since she identified the hay rake so quickly. (Damn you, google!!!) I just thought it would take longer!

That's it for this entry, now on to Grand Rapids!!!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

You picked some gorgeous yarns!! I just discovered Pagewood Farms a few weeks ago at Article Pract (just for future stash enabling...I resisted as it was my first day home from my Portland trip). Both yarn stores looked fabulous :)

10:56 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

My word, I would have been quite overwhelmed in that yarn staore, its huge! I love the blue yarn you chose.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Looks like you had fun. I love my pattern tamers!

4:19 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

What fun! The Pagewood is breathtaking!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Wow what awesome stores..I wanta go!:) Gorgeous yarns too! Aren't you Chicken Knits???? You should like getting up with the chickens! hee hee :) Oh and from my post you've got to get some Crocs! They are soooooo comfy...even have my son addicted! They even have some designed for the nursing profession? I ordered two pairs the other day from Surf and Dirt online! Have a great week at work!
Whats a pattern tamer?

6:54 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

You went to Threadbear! It looks fantastic. I'm still so peeved that they used to be an hour from my house, but then moved to Michigan just after I started knitting. Can you believe it?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Now, why don't I have a good reason to go to Lansing?

3:11 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

I always have problems with early mornings. I'm a night owl so early mornings kill me.
Great yarn! Oh I wish for a yarn shop like that here. Ours is so tiny.

5:16 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

It's not that Google's fast - it's just that I have no life... ;)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Woosh! What an awesome yarn crawl. It's funny how you get home and look at what you bought and there's a common theme (like your blue) that you weren't cognizant of as it was happening.

Those stores are huge. I'd be in trouble if I lived anywhere near there.

Thanks for sharing. I love AARs.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I am a lucky knitter, who can proudly say that Threadbear is my LYS. I live 15 minutes away, but for anyone contemplating the drive--it is worth every mile. I am knitting my first pair of sock with the Pagewood yarn and it is so soft. I love knitting with it.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I have a few skeins of Pagewood in my stash - it's some yummy stuff.

I also now carry Yummy yarn - very delicious stuff. Great colorway you walked away with (I think it's my fave!)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Oh, and I wanted to say that the felted bracelet kit looks neat!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home