Sunday, August 03, 2008

Grand Rapids Yarn Store Roundup

From Lansing, I went to Grand Rapids. I figured... it's on my way home. From East to West, I hit three yarn shops.

First stop... Clever Ewe in Ada.

Clever Ewe- Door

Isn't the front door cute?!?!?!? Check out the great fixtures they have in this store.

Clever Ewe- Tons of Yarn

Cool, huh? Totally antique. And what could be better than antiques filled with yarn!

Clever Ewe- Wall of Manos

There's even a "wall of Manos" This was another shop where the ladies were nice and the yarn was plentiful. I picked up (you guessed it!) sock yarn. At least it's one that I haven't tried before.

Cascade Heritage Sock- Steel

Cascade Heritage Sock yarn in Steel. It's surprisingly soft!

Clever Ewe Buttons

And some buttons for my February Lady Sweater. (Which by the way, I'm only one sleeve away from finishing...)

Then, I'm off to City Knitting in Grand Rapids proper.

City Knitting- Door

Another great shop with a not so intriguing front. The owner, Lorilee, greeted me and promptly invited me to their knit night. Unfortunately, I already had plans that night. But how welcoming can you be?!?!?!

City Knitting- Sock Room

This is the room for sock and lace yarn. A whole room!!!! Heaven I tell you!!!

City Knitting- Space to Knit

And, there's a perfect place to sit and knit.

City Knitting- Washer

They even have a washing machine for felting class. GENIUS!!! I really, really loved with shop. One of the ladies there had just finished the Hemlock blanket and was proudly showing it off. They chatted eagerly with me without once making me feel like I should buy more. Love that. Of course, I did buy...

Alpaca with a Twist Fino- Blac

Alpaca with a Twist Fino in Black. I'm entering lace weight territory...

Lamb Tee- Green

A green "Know your cuts of Lamb" shirt.(trust me, it's green.) Yes, I already have a brown one. So?

Since I'd been to Lansing and GR all in one day, my zest for yarn stores was starting to wane. I know. I never thought I'd be getting sick of yarn shopping either. Probably I was just tired. But I pushed through the fatigue for one more shop. This is one that my mom frequented when we were kids, before there were yarn stores in Holland- Threadbender in Wyoming.

Threadbender- Door

Nestled in a nondescript strip mall, Threadbender is focused on yarn, spinning, and weaving.

Threadbender- Yarn Galore

Yarn is crammed into every nook and cranny in this store.

Threadbender- Front Room

When I pulled into the parking lot, I was thinking... it's going to take some really special yarn to get me to buy more on this day of yarn debauchery. Good thing they had some really special skeins.

Claudia Hand Painted- Begonia

Claudia Handpaint- Begonia. Can you believe I didn't have any of this???

Araucania Ranco- 318

Araucania Ranco. So gorgeous, I had to have this one too...

Araucania Ranco- 310

That's it for Grand Rapids. I promptly went home and took a nap. There was a serious yarn hangover the next day!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

I love those buttons! Can't wait to see them on the finished sweater.

6:07 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Holy crap - what an awesome yarn spree! And those buttons are perfect! I am two sleeves away from my own FLS - and buttons like this would be perfect:) The quest begins!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Awesome yarn and awesome shops! Love those buttons.

9:07 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous yarns!! Your post totally sums up how I'm always getting sock yarn on vacation...just enough for a souvenir! You picked some pretties!

Can't wait to see those perfect buttons on your finished sweater!!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Nell, I think I need to go on a road trip to see new yarn stores. I like the ones around me just fine, but I know extactly what they have... and I want to see new stuff!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

What an awesome yarn vacation! How cool to go to sooooo many stores! Lucky girl!

5:39 AM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

I want to plan a vacation around just going to yarn shops lol hmm wonder if I can convince the boyfriend of that lol..That Begonia yarn is a goregous color & that sheep shirt is so cute. I can't wait to see your sweater

8:04 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Fab yarn purchases! I think *I* have a yarn hangover just reading about them!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Rocky said...

Gosh, you look like you had so much fun! I want a yarn hangover 8-)

Those stores are great!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the lamb illustration and those buttons are gorgoeus. Are they wooden?

11:11 PM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

PS-love the mushroom pic! And your buttons are lovely-I can hardly wait to see your February Lady sweater!

12:04 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

All in one day? That's crazy talk!

What a great haul, including those fab buttons.

That cascade heritage looks like it would make a great cabled sock. And the claudia HP is scrumptious, but so was everything else you picked up.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Clearly you have been very busy with yarn stores! Maybe a bit high on the yarn fumes?
I love the February Lady Sweater. I must knit that someday!
I particularly like the begonia yarn! YUM!

Yes, early morning shifts tend to stink until you get used to them. Every shift has its pros and cons. You'll need to find which one best fits you and your family! Good luck!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I've been dying to try the Cascade Heritage Sock - How is it?

GREAT buttons for your Feb Lady Sweater. I'm dying to cast that on, probably just after the new year!

Love the tshirt you got... never seen it before!

Claudia Handpainted rocks. That's one yarn I had to bring into my shop!

And I have some Araucania in my stash, it's also yummy.

You got some great loot there girl!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home