Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beware The Impulsive Piercing

After re-reading this, it might make some people a little squirmy. So read at your own risk.

I've been considering getting a new earring for awhile now. Originally I wanted one through my tragus. (that's the little piece of cartilage that sits above the lobe but closest to your face. Does that make sense?) But I've heard it makes using a stethoscope painful while it heals. So I went for a regular cartilage piercing on the upper part of my right ear. I have one on the left already. So I knew what to expect- long time to heal, can't sleep on that side, etc. On Monday I went to Claire's in the mall after work. They did the piercing without any issues. It looked cute. It hurt but that's normal. I went to work on yesterday and everything was fine. I cleaned it a couple of times. Again, it hurt but nothing out of the ordinary. Last night, it started to hurt more. A LOT more. Then, this morning I woke up with a boxer's ear. It's bright red and the folds are less folded due to the swelling. Oh my goodness! What's going on?!?!?! So I very gently cleaned it. Part of me thought I just slept on it funny and it needed to rest. After a couple of hours, it wasn't getting better. At this point, my ear was almost purple. I decided maybe I was having a reaction to the earring. So I took it out once I found an old piercing stud that's gold to replace it with. I gave the gold stud a couple of hours, no improvement in the swelling. So now, I've taken out the earring. But I'm trying to poke it back through every couple of hours to try to save the hole without losing my ear! Just as a side note, I don't blame Claire's at all. This whole thing didn't start until the next day. I probably picked up some bug at work. I'll keep you posted...

ETA: I don't think it's going to make it. The pus started tonight. And my ear still barely looks like an ear. Yeah- this isn't good. That'll teach me to try to be 18 again.

Something more uplifting tomorrow. Promise!

13 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

Uh oh. I'm hoping its better tomorrow.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh no! You poor thing. I was lucky with my piercings, I have 6 in one ear and had a nose piercing (gone now as it was a pain with work!) but none of them went bad. I think its luck more than anything. Take care of it and I hope it gets better soon.x

4:22 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

OUCHY! Just gave me the chills! Hope it feels better and gets back to normal soon! Belly buttons next!:)

5:27 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Sorry you had a bad piercing experience! It wouldn't be out of order to blame Claire's. Piercing guns can't be sterilized and cause more trauma than needle piercing, and often the studs are too tight and don't allow for the inevitable swelling. Only reputable piercing shops from now on!

If you decide to try a different piercing, try a rook. it's a little different, looks super cute (I have 2), and wouldn't get in the way of a stethascope (though earbud headphones can be tough for a few weeks). just be sure to get a curved barbell instead of a ring for quicker and easier healing and cleaning.

5:43 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Ack! My ear is having sympathy pain! Sending many healing thoughts, hope it's better soon!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Oh No!!! You poor thing! Man you are one brave woman! I gave up the extra piercings years ago. As a matter of a fact I have 3 on one ear and two on the other --back from it was cool in the '80s to wear multiple earrings. It probably still is --I just grew out of it:)

10:05 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

I agree with corporate monkey.

Earlobe piercing - Claire's

Anything else piercing - pro's.

Get well soon - Van Gogh isn't a good look for anyone. Good thing you have access to great medical!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Youchers you poor girl.Hugs Darcy

12:49 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

Ouch! I can empathize. I got my cartilage pierced a few years ago at a local tattoo shop and the same thing happened to me. But I waited way too long to remove the hoop that was put in. My ear swelled around it, and it was incredibly painful to remove. I think about having it done again, but I am way too chicken. :)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Rocky Moreno said...

Oh my god, sounds like you have an infection, you may need to head to the doctors.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Ouch!! Hope it heals soon. No more piercings for me. ;)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch!

I once had a classmate whose ear/nose/throat doctor of a father could not pierce her ears correctly to save his life. So sometimes the "pro's" don't always get it right either.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I have my right tragus pierced and I love it. I got it done while in British Columbia in 2001. Havent taken it out since, not even when I had my Csection. (They asked me to remove jewelry, then forgot it was in, and I can't take it out myself. Need to get it taken out by the peircing place). Anyhow I dont recall is being hard on the healing. I recall it was rather fast.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home