Friday, July 25, 2008

My Hometown

As I mentioned before, I grew up on a farm in Hamilton, Michigan. Well, what do you do when you go home? (besides sweat through all your clothes due to humidity that you aren't used to???) You go to the Ag Expo with your Dad.

Michigan- Ag Expo Sign

On the campus of Michigan State in East Lansing.

Michigan- Dad with Mill

My Dad (blue shirt) wanted to look at a portable sawmill. No kidding. Apparently this one cuts really straight boards. There were lots of tractors and a few things I couldn't identify.

Michigan- Ag Expo Swirly

Seriously, what is this thing? (A prize to anyone who knows!)

My personal favorite is the giant cow.

Michigan- Ag Expo Giant Cow

What's going on with her udder???

My Dad had to work while I was home. So I pretty much puttered around the surrounding areas. These pictures are from Holland, Michigan. It's about 1 town over from where I was raised.

Michigan- Dutch Village

Yes, Dutch culture is well represented here. This is the windmill at Dutch Village- a Dutch theme park. (yes, you read that correctly.) The highlight for me as a kid was the giant swing. And funnel cake- yummmmm!

Michigan- Dutch Sign

In case you can't find the bathroom, just follow the little Dutch girl.

Michigan- Veldheer Farms

The barn at Veldheer Farms. They grow flowers and bison. There's even a Tulip Festival in May every year. They line the streets with tulips that somehow all bloom at the perfect time. It's really beautiful. (Almost makes up for the crowds!)

Michigan- Fields

The view from the top of my Dad's barn. They mowed the straw the day before I took this.

Michigan- Straw Bale

On this day, they started to bale.

Michigan- Pickle Plant

This is a pickle plant. The sandy soil in my town is perfect for pickle growing. (NOT the same as a cucumber!)

Michigan- Soybean Plant

Soybean plant. Another good crop in our area. Of course, there's lots of corn too. But I figured you know what that one looks like!

Of course, all of this is pretty close to the shores of Lake Michigan.

Michigan- Sunset 2

Can't complain about that one bit.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger weezalana said...

Dude, that's a *portable* sawmill? I wonder how big is a stationary one is!

That thing with the swirly white whatchamacallits is a hay rake. (I had to know, so I Googled the company name, which you can see in the pic, and it popped right up.) http://www.hsmfgco.com/rakemain.cfm

8:57 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I was going to say it was a disc for a tractor...we just got one last night but lots smaller! But a hay rake makes more since with the tinier hooky things!:)

Love the cow pic...laughed so hard about the udder..guess she has breast fed too much!:) hee hee

Love the pics! My dad would have a blast with yours! He watches some tractor channel show every day oh and don't forget the chain saw show!:)

hugs

7:05 AM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us! It certainly looks like fun to me!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Sounds like you had a good time. :)

3:58 PM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! What a combination-Chicago and out to the rural areas! Ag Expo, huh? Interesting! And the Dutch Village place only looks too cute!

I can hardly wait to see your yarny souvenieres!

4:22 PM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

PS-you little sis is as adorable as you!

4:22 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love all the pics of home :) Great post!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

So jealous you grew up on a farm! I grew upon on soot. I'm only a little bitter. LOL.

Thanks for sharing your little corner of the world.

Someday hubby will learn the difference between cucumbers and pickles. No pictoral evidence has worked yet...

9:16 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

I was going to say aerator but hay rake makes more sense!

What a beautiful wheel you scored! Almost makes me want to learn to spin. almost.

I love ag stuff. I grew up on a small 5 acres in CA but loved every minute of it!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home