Saturday, July 26, 2008

Matchless

I went on a treasure hunt while I was at home. Not only was my mother a knitter, she was a spinner. And I knew there were wheels around that no one was using.

But we live on a farm with many barns. And finding the wheel I remember would not be as easy as if it were sitting in our living room.

Michigan- Barn and Tower

I started in the barn next to our house.

Michigan- Loft

As you can see, finding a particular item is sometimes challenging. But I managed to spot them.

Michigan- Spinning Wheels

Michigan- Spinning Wheel 2

Michigan- Spinning Wheel 3

Michigan- Spinning Wheel 2

But these weren't the one I remembered. I actually thought she had an Ashford Joy. But I couldn't be sure. At any rate, it wasn't in this barn. So I tried another location knowing that there were 4 wheels I could use if I couldn't find the one I remembered.

Michigan- The Duck Blind

My parents have a cabin in the woods. There's no electricity or phone. It's their getaway. There was a chance that my mom had the wheel I remembered out here. But, like the jackass that I am, I forgot to bring keys with me. I had to go back to my house and collect the keys.

Michigan- Mushrooms in the Wookds

I'll distract you with a mushroom in the woods picture while I collect the keys. Pretty, huh?

Well, it was worth another trip...

Michigan- Schacht Wheel

I found a Schacht Matchless Single Treadle wheel. This is a picture after I cleaned MANY cobwebs off of it. It's gorgeous. Now, it made the long (and expensive) trip to California to my living room.

Michigan- Schacht All Clean

Here's another picture to show the loveliness. I looked up the serial number and this wheel was built in 1987- which means my mom owned it for almost 20 years. I think it'll go another 20 for me. I even got it going a little last night. We'll see...

First Spinning

Just so I don't get too far behind...
Click here for the latest Yarn Pirate Booty Club pic.
Click here for the latest Rockin' Sock Club pic.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger peaknits said...

I have been on a quest to find a spinning wheel - trying to figure out what kind - let me tell you, your experience is matchless indeed - o find a gem your mother used - nothing better than that! It is beautiful is appearance and story! I can't wait to see more spinning progress...take care!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

What a wonderful find. I think it is so great that you are going to be using a family wheel instead of purchasing something new. :) Congrats. I am sure your mom would be proud.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love the barn pics! The cabin is gorgeous, beautiful with all the windows and scenery. How awesome to be able to use the wheel your mother used, so special, something you can pass down to your daughter too in the future! I could so see your mama smiling as you found it! love and hugs

6:35 AM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I'm not a spinner, but that wheel is gorgeous! I hope you make good use of it!

Looks like there are a lot more treasures in that barn!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

How wonderful! You get to use a wheel that your mom used. I hope that as you use it it will bring back some great memories. Have fun and can't wait to see your spinning progress.

1:45 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Your mom would probably be so happy to see you spinning on one of her wheels! That is a gorgeous spinning wheel! Can't wait to see all the fibery goodness you'll be spinning :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger barb :0) said...

Oh what a treasure !!!!! I just took spinning lessons and I learned and a Schacht ....... it was wonderful !!!!! I hope to buy one ........ soon !!!
My parents both graduated from MSU !!! Thank so much for the pics !!!!!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I'm a sentimental fool and would have probably cried tears of joy upon finding that wheel. Everything you will spin, and everything knit from that which was spun, will be imbued with memories of her and her love...matchless!

You lucky duck! It never even dawned on me to look up the serial number to check the age of a wheel!

If we were techy geeks instead of fiber enthusiasts we'd be out of luck finding 20 year old equipment. As it is, I had no problem purchasing additional bobbins for my third-hand wheel and you wont either!

Good luck with the spinning!

Is your family looking to adopt a 40 year old married woman with two cats and two dogs? I wanna barn!

9:24 AM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

WOW! Heaven--all those wheels! Lucky you! And you got to go to THREADBEAR? I remember reading Rob's blog before they ended up ultimately moving to Michigan and seeing all the pics of the not-to-be store, and the actual store...and all the other places filled with yarny-goodness! I think I would have been in major trouble!

And speaking of your going into laceweight--does this mean you may be joining one of the upcoming KALs?...

Loving all your new acquisitions!

Hope you are surviving the mornings-hang in there!

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home