Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Let Me Explain

No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Re-entry into regular life is always a bit of a challenge. Even more so with this trip because it was so relaxing. I'm in denial that I need to jump back into my life. The other issue is that I shipped a lot of things home so I can't show you all the spoils of travel just yet. There will be foot dragging until the loot arrives...

One quick announcement before we get going. Ruth is having a reorganization destash. It's huge! Go here to check it out.

I started my trip in Chicago. My little sister lives there and was gracious enough to let me crash for a couple of days. I was met by a fabulous midwestern thunder storm. Of course, it wasn't as cool for her since she had to be at the farmer's market at 6 am. Oof! I admit, I slept in that morning. But I did get up in time to play with my new camera at the market. (I heart macro mode!) Here are a few of my favorites from that morning...

Chicago- Sunflower Group

Chicago- Peony

Chicago- Tricolor Tomatoes

Chicago- Herbs

This market is actually the Green City Market that was featured on Top Chef. My sister works at a bakery booth with the most delicious shortbread EVER. If you're in town, stop by and say hi.

Chicago- Abby at Market

Here she is so you recognize her. What a cutie!!! I couldn't get one of her smiling but trust me, she smiles a lot!

Chicago- Cookies and Merenges

This is what she sells. PLUS, killer quiche and lovely tarts. Delish!

I took a break from photos to sit and knit on the Tesserae socks.

Green City Market

Not a bad view for a little sock knitting. There were lots of puppies. And every kid was wearing their crocs. Pretty cute place to hang out on a Saturday morning. It was so relaxing that I managed to snap 1 of my pony ebony dpn's. I soldiered on with a set of 4. But when the second one snapped I was forced to abandon my knitting for the moment. (Good thing I emailed Franklin about yarn shops in Chicago! That'll be in a later post.)

After the market, my sister walks downtown to Union Station to catch a train to the suburbs for dinner service at Vie. Seriously, she works hard! I joined her for a nice walk through the city. I LOVE Chicago architecture.

Chicago- Library and Park

The Library on State.

Chicago- Sears Tower

Sears Tower

Chicago- Union Station Grand Hall

Union Station- Where they filmed that famous scene in The Untouchables. Gorgeous. Makes me think of a time when train travel was the norm.

Once I dropped Abby off at the train, I set out for the yarn shops and to generally wander around the city. More on that soon.

For now, enjoy what arrived from The Loopy Ewe before I took off. Don't look at me like that! I had a $25 credit.

Yarn Pirate- Anemone

Yarn Pirate merino tencel- Anemone

Fiesta Boomerang- Rhubarb

Fiesta Boomerang- Rhubarb

Dream in Color Smooshy- Black Parade

Dream in Color Smooshy- Black Parade

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

First off...love the Princess Bride Inigo quote you started with! Secondly, that Farmer's Market look luscious! Wish I could go and get some of the shortbread....

9:32 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love all the market photos with the new camera!! Yummy!! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

12:32 PM  
Blogger NotScarlett Sarah said...

Oh, Lordy....you just cemented my decision to buy that very same camera...I'm in the market for a new one, and that model had been recommended several times. Those are some great shots! Can't wait to see more of your trip, and hope re-adjusting to the "real world" isn't painful for too much longer.

2:49 PM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

I've always wanted to go to Chicago. More stuff to add to my "to do" list!

3:13 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

Oh I can't wait to see what other goodies you got while you where gone. I love going to Farmer's Markets they are always full of great things

6:54 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Oh, you are making me miss my home town. I hope you went to loopy! That's right around the corner from my dad's office. Completely wasted on him, of course. :)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I love the Green City Market! I don't make it there nearly enough. I will have to make sure to look for your sister's booth the next time I pass by (mmm, quiche and tarts....)!

I can't wait to read your yarny post! =)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I love your colours in the photos. That yarn is great, the dark smooshy is so nice.

4:39 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Great photos! Those peonies look so fluffy and gorgeous!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love all the yarn pics! Love, love the sunflower pic awesome pic of it! I really think we must be related from seeing your sis's pic too! The Farmer's market was awesome looking! Can't wait to hear more! hugs

7:31 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

OK, I just laughed my ASS off at the first quote! One of my all-time favorite movies.

Alright, going to read the rest of the post now....

7:34 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

I love Farmer's Markets! They are always so busy and laid back at the same time.

Black Parade yarn? Gorgeous! Do you think they are My Chemical Romance fans or just fans of wherever MCR got the name for that song/album?

7:39 AM  
Blogger sharon said...

Chicago is lovely.
and a vacation ohh.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Can I be petty a sec and say I'm mad at myself b/c I didn't GET the Inigo Montayo quote! I luvs me some Princess Bride.

Congrats on the new cam. I have a Powershot and the macro mode is very handy dandy. Your photo compositions are awesome!

The closest I've been to the windy city is when I went outside at O'Hare to smoke a cig (back when I smoked!!!). It may have been on my honeymoon, now that I think about.

Sounds like you had an awesome time!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

You sister looks a lot like you! Lovely photos with you new cam!
I will not judge. I got some Wollmeise from the TLE. I am in NO position to judge, and I like to enable, so judging is really no fun. Hee hee!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

What a fabulous little camera Nell! I love those photos! Oh and this trip seems amazing! Gosh you must have had such a wonderful time. I LOVE Chicago! I can hardly wait to hear and see the rest:)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Rocky said...

I have 2 skeins of that Rhubarb, its so pretty. I knitted tiny earing socks with it, and practically have 2 skeins still cause earing socks don't take much yarn.

Love your pics.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home