Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Dyeing with Scout

I was lucky enough to take an introductory yarn dyeing class this weekend at Knit One One. The teacher? Oh, just a little indie dyer from Albequrque. You might have heard of her... Scout!!!

Dyeing Class- Scout

There she is! Scout's a great teacher and really made us feel like we could take on this dyeing thing and the results wouldn't be total crap.

Dyeing Class- Scout Warps

Here she's showing us how to use a warping board to make self striping skeins. (Just don't take the yarn off prematurely!)

Dyeing Class- Leslie warps

This is the venerable Tapmouse at work!

Dyeing Class- Scout's Wares

Of course, Scout brought us some of her goodies!!! But more on that later.

So here's how you dye...

Dyeing Class- Yarn Soaking

Soak yarn.

Dyeing Class- Masks

Mix dyes. Wear a mask for this part or you'll be blowing purple out your nose for awhile!

Dyeing Class- Painting it on

Spread out your skein on Reynolds plastic wrap and go to town!

Dyeing Class- Marisol

The Scout let us loose to dye our own...

Dyeing Class- Adrienne's Skein

Adrienne's

Dyeing Class- Varigated Skeins

Elaine's

Then, pop your skein into the microwave with a steam bath. Eh, Viola!!!!! You dyed yarn. Disclaimer- You should probably read the directions for whatever dye you use. I'm just sayin'.

Dyeing Class- Results

Leave your yarn out in the sun to dry before trying to knit with it.

Dyeing Class- Drying Skeins

I think we did a pretty good job for first skeins!

Dyeing Class- My Self Striping

My self striping skein

Dyeing Class- My stripes

This will be self striping too. But I tried it on a Knit Picks Sock Blank. Cool, huh? I wound the yarn up on Monday night (without incident!). I can't wait to see how it knits up. But the best part of the day was meeting some of my bloggy friends- Marisol and Leslie. And of course, the Y Knit boys! If you listen to an upcoming episode, you might just hear me!

And you know I couldn't pass up a chance at some of Scout's yarn.

Scout's Swag- Marmalade

Marmalade

Scout's Swag- Smashbox

Smashbox

Scout's Swag- Watermelon Mt.

Watermelon Mt.

All in all, it turned out to be a great time!

**I'll apologize now for the crappy photos. I only had my phone. Anyone have a little point and shoot digital camera that they love? I'm in the market.

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger PurlingPirate said...

What fun!!! Our group of knit girls just bought some of those sock blanks from Knit Picks. Of course we won't have Scout leading us, but hopefully we will have fun and beautiful yarn too!!

4:58 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

What a great class - I'm green with envy:) That Smashbox is gorgeous! Well, it's ALL gorgeous!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

I had such a great time! I'm also really glad we met!

I'm still wanting that Marmalade and Watermelon Mt. - grin:) Soon, very soon they shall be mine he he...

As for the Camera, I really like my Casio digital. Its pretty decent and I've been taking pictures with it since I've had my blog --something like 3 o rso year? Wow has it really been that long?

6:08 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

What a fun class! And what a lovely yarn haul! I can't wait to see how your self-striping skeins knit up. =)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Lucky you!!! I'm so pea green with envy! Gorgeous yarns!

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! When I was studying we had a lady come in and we dyed wool for the purpose to felt. It was great fun. It was my introduction to dyeing and I fell in love. Now my dream is to go to India to learn about natural dye'ing. It is such a magical process watching something change colour!!! ooohhh I love it! I wish I could have been there to learn with Scout. It looks like it was a great class.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

That looks great, I love all the colours everyone made and your bought yarns are great!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

That looks like it was a FUN class!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

what fun! and omg, that "marmalade" colorway just sings to me.

1:00 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

How cool! That looks like a lot of fun. I'd be more interested in taking a class like that than trying it in my own kitchen, heh.

For what it's worth, I think your photos aren't bad at all! Certainly better than my phone could produce. But I would recommend my camera...it's a Canon Powershot. It's a few years old but I'm sure they still make it, and it's probably better now anyway. It's easy to use, tiny, has a good-sized screen, and takes great pictures.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love the pictures it was fun just like being there I like the marmalade it is very pretty:)Hugs Darcy

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

how fun is that? very cool!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad I stopped in to say hi and see you all in action! I can't wait 'til you knit up your self-striping yarn. It was looking awesome as you were working on it.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Marlowe said...

Love your yarn. Can't wait to see it knit up. Hope your boards went well.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I would never have guessed those were taken from a cellphone. I can't wait to see what your yarn looks like skeined up.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Rocky said...

Your camera takes good pics! Although not when I'm in the frame *-) I hate all pics I'm in, but that's me.

I have to say, I so love your sock blank self striping, so cool! I hope you keep us posted for socks your knitting!

The dyeing process is so cool, isn't it? And fun!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Look at all that yummy yarn!
hugs

6:28 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Oh, I'm so JEALOUS! What fun you must have had (albeit all the obsticles first).
I've never knit with Scout's yarn yet....but it's a tempting treat!

7:49 AM  
Blogger NotScarlett Sarah said...

I have an ancient Nikon CoolPix camera that I love. It's dying a sloooow death, and I will be sad when it is time to get a new one, that is how attached I am.

Dyeing with Scout looks like it was so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

7:44 PM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

HEY, those pics look pretty good for camera phone pics! LOVED our class! LOVED meeting you in person!

And I LOVE that Watermelon colorway!

You know, somehow I missed this post-I think it was a Ravelry-link-to-the-single-post thing and I forgot to click on your blog itself!

And I guess I obviously thought you were going to leave the CPH the way it was, cuz the "froggin'" idea blew way past me! Awwww...I'm sorry you have to frog...waaah, hate that!

But I must say that your Lady is looking awesome! And your garden is quite impressive! And don't believe that spearmint cannot be killed-I kill just about every plant I try to keep! I'm naughty that way-even killed a cactus! Yeah, neglect...and let's not mention that my grandfather was a farmer!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

That looks so awesome!!!! Can't wait to see what you knit with your new yarn. And the scout swag you took home is gorgeous too.

Jealous!

11:04 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Wow, you got dyeing lessons from Scout herself? *ENVY*

And I LOVE that Marmalade colorway!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

It was a great time! I can't wait to see how those striped socks turn out!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Totally jealous that you got to learn from Scout herself!!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

SO JEALOUS!

Do you live near Scout??? How did you get to take her class? Can I ask how much the class was? I wish I could get her here to Canada to teach us how to dye, I'd totally take a class with her!

LUCKY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to meet Scout at Rhinebeck this past year, she rocks.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home