Sunday, July 27, 2008

Chicago Yarn Store Roundup

While my sister worked, I shopped. Thanks to Franklin, I had a good lead on a couple of yarn shops.

First stop, Loopy Yarns on South State Street.

Chicago- Loopy Yarns Door

I showed up here sweaty and disheveled since I walked from the North Side. The ladies were so nice! They sat me down in front of a fan and handed me books to look through.

Chicago- Loopy Yarns Wall

Meanwhile, I was distracted by the wall of Lorna's Laces! I didn't know they dyed their yarn in Chicago, did you? In fact, some of the colorways are named after Chicago neighborhoods.

Lornas Laces- Edgewater

Edgewater

Lorna's Laces- Pilsen

And Pilsen- for example. They also helped me replace the dpn's I broke at the Farmer's Market. Thank goodness, I was making serious headway on the Tesserae socks. Really, the ladies there were so nice and we chatted for a good hour about ravelry, knitting, and jello pudding. If I lived closer, I would go there everyday just to hang out!

I also went to We'll Keep You in Stitches. While this wasn't on Franklin's list, it was on my way back to my sister's house from downtown. This shop is on the 4th floor above Oak Street. It was a pretty fancy address for my sweatiness but I was a tourist, so who cares???? This shop is teeny. And really seemed more focused on needlepoint than knitting. While the ladies here weren't super warm and friendly, they weren't rude either. I didn't seem to be their top priority but that was OK with me. I was getting a little worn out after all the walking I did. Also, most of the yarn was still in plastic bags, so finding the great yarn that's there was a little tricky. But I perservered...

Noro Kureyon- S233 Blues

Noro Kureyon in S233. It's the perfect blue.

Online Supersocke 100- Sierra

ONline Supersocke 100. More of a purple than in this picture.

But the main attraction for me...

Noro Silk Garden Sock- S252

Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn S252.

At this rate, I decided that any more yarn I bought on this trip would have to be yarn I didn't have already. I need to stretch my horizons and not go completely broke in one week!

Those were the only 2 I made it to in Chicago. Although Nina and Knitting Workshop were also recommended. So you'll have to check those out on your own.

In other news, I start work tomorrow. It's just orientation and computer training the first week. But it's still exciting. (as is the upcoming paycheck!)

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Yay for souvenir yarn (love that Edgewater)! I'm glad you made it to Loopy, it's such a charming little store. =)

Good luck with your first week of work!

6:09 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

What a great pilgrimage! I love the yarns! You won some Mama Blue Sport at my recent blog-test - e-mail me your address at foppersATcharterDOTnet when you have a second! Thank you!
Stacey

6:24 AM  
Blogger barb :0) said...

Hi !!!
I went to We'll Keep You In Stitches as well, and felt the same as you !!!! The yarn in the plastic bags really threw me !!!! But I did buy a book there that I totally love, so I was happy !!! Your yarn looks wonderful ..... thanks for sharing !!!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I love yarn crawls! Great stash enhancements. I'm really curious how people make out with the noro sock yarn.

Your vacation posts are such fun! The AARs (after action reports) are rockin.' (Yes I'm an old fogey that uses the term rockin.')

9:27 AM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Great stash enhancements! I couldn't resist picking up some Noro silk garden sock either.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Lovely purchases, that store looks amazing! I hope work goes well.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes Loopy Yarns is the only shop WORTH going into when you hit up chicago. Don't be sad you missed the others..but you can hit those next time!

Lorna's Laces Dyes her yarn in Ravenswood, which is 3 blocks from nat's apartment. Threadless was down there in that industrial area too but i think their wharehouse moved! So if you saw Ravenswood you would know that's her neighborhood and about 3 blocks from Nat!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love the yarns ya got...yummy!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Rocky said...

I like your Noro yarns, I totally need to get some.

3:14 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

You picked some winners!! Love them all!!

Good luck at your first day!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I just started knitting a pair of socks with Lorna's Laces, and I forget how much I love that yarn! It under-rated, really, it is!

I don't read blog posts for two days, and you get a wheel! You go girl! I'm sure your mom would be so proud of you....and good luck wih the job. I had a surprise day off yesterday! YEAH!

3:23 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

So much yarny goodness! I am in awe. You made some good choices.

Good luck this week!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home