Saturday, June 28, 2008

Please Pass the Xanax

I really am losing it!

First off, I woke up hungover. Chalk that up to the 2nd bottle of wine Brian and I split. It wouldn't have been a big deal but I was supposed to meet up with Marisol and TapMouse for coffee and knitting before our class. Of course, I was running a little late and definitely not at full power.

On my way to dyeing class with Scout, I heard a funny noise under the car. Kind of like when you hit a rock and it bounces around the wheel well for a second. But then the sound went away. Well, when I exited the freeway the car was driving funny and didn't sound right. So I pulled over as soon as I could. Sure enough, flat tire. Thank goodness for cell phones! I called a tow truck and he changed the tire and made sure I had enough air in the donut. (Just so you know, I can change a tire. But I didn't want to get dirty and I was wearing flip flops.) Now I'm 30 miles from home and I can't go more than 50 miles and hour on the donut. OK- whatever, I'll figure it out after class. The car is driving so funny now that I know I'll have to find a shop before heading home. (No post class yarn crawl for me. Boo!!!) I made it to class on time but missed out on pre-class knitting.

During class, I screwed up my warping board. No problem! I'll just pull it off and start over. Yeah- Great idea. My yarn is now tangled within an inch of it's life. TapMouse was so sweet. She untangled while I wound another skein. Then that skein popped off the swift with only about 20 yards left to wind. Yup- completely tangled. I actually threw away the last few yards. I was so fed up, I really wanted to go cry. But trying not to look like a psycho won out over dissolving into tears. Another woman in the class (Elaine) helped me warp my skein while tapmouse continued to untangle. She managed to save the skein and my sanity. Bless her!

On the upside, Wonder Mike of Y Knit directed me to a great little shop who fixed my tire for $15 and it held all the way home. Scout brought yarn to sell. (We pulled numbers to see who got to shop first!) And I'm learning to dye!!! But I have to tell you, it's a good thing no dye was used today. I'm sure I would have ended up with it all over myself.

I tell you, I'm living in this hyper anxious state right now. Really, none of these things were that big of a deal. But added all up and on top of my current state of mind... well, my coping skills are being put to the test.

I'm also just disappointed that I was such a pill today. I met a bunch of people for the first time that I "know" online. And I wasn't my normal, fun self. Hopefully, tomorrow will go better. I'm really not this tightly wound. Really. I promise.

16 Comments:

Blogger peaknits said...

You had me at "Scout"! Wow, what a crappy string of events - but Scout, you are learning from a master - aw, how awesome is that?! I had a similar experrience when I was learning to quilt with a quilt-wizard and wanted to die but kept it together as not to scare the rest of my classmates:)

7:16 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

What a bummer! Look on the bright side though, if you hadn't have planned to meetup before hand you may have been late to the class instead! At least you were on time for that AND you still have another day tomorrow :)

Have fun, buy yarn :) And enjoy !!

8:18 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Hmm, how poopy. If you weren't hungover, I'd suggest a mojito. But you are learning how to dye from the master! Can't wait to see your results.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I hope you find time to relax and have no more mad moments.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Bummer, what rotten luck! Good that you found someone to fix the tire for the ride home!
And I think it would be amazing to take a class with Scout - lucky you!

3:24 AM  
Blogger NotScarlett Sarah said...

Poor thing! I hope Day 2 goes better for you, I'm sure your crappy day was an isolated incident!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Listen my dear you are not the only one. I was sitting there with a massive headache and what I think was a bit of high blood pressure... It could have been that the excitement of it all was getting to me too:)

You know what, I was trying to concentrate so hard on not screwing up my warping board that I missed all of that. I'm so sorry you went through all those changes in class. I knew of the first one but not the second. Also, you were very cool, calm and collected --really fun to be around! Don't be so hard on yourself. I even have a picutre of you cracking up at something Stephen said:)

6:37 AM  
Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

Yikes - I hope today's better than yesterday!

And damn - I'd really wanted to get to Scout's class but couldn't for a number of reasons. It would have been nice to meet you!

8:37 AM  
Blogger sharon said...

Positive stuff happened, but snaffled in with all that crap is not nice.
For every bad day we get a year of good ones...
And your car got fixed

7:28 PM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

Well, if you were being "tightly wound up" on Saturday, I sure didn't notice your not being fun! I had a great time with you and it was all good and fun! I guess I can now say, 'Oh, no...' ;)

We loveses you, Nell!

6:48 PM  
Blogger ~RaenWa~ said...

I am sorry you had a bad day I hope your weekis getting better

12:40 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I like how irishgirlie thinks. Sorry about the snafus snagging you up. It's a bummer when the expectation of a great day is mauled by "incidences."

Can't wait to see what you learned with dying. I'm so clumsy I'm afraid to try it myself.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

Thank goodness you had some great people to help you through all that. Crappy days suck.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

Thank goodness you had some great people to help you through all that. Crappy days suck.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Rocky said...

I know you had a bad start, but I think everything turned out fine. Especially your preknitted blanks you dyed in that rainbow skein, so pretty! I can't wait to see how it knits up.

I feel yah on the yarn hassle, I got my 2nd skein of yarn completely tangled, and it took oh about 3 or 4 of us to untangle, I want to thank the girls that helped me, but I feel so bad, I don't have any contact info for them. If their reading, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, you were awesome with helping me!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

YOU TOOK A DYING CLASS WITH SCOUT!!!??

Soo jealous!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home