Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Boston Extravaganza!

OK- Get comfortable. Pour yourself a cup of coffee. Because this is going to be long.

I had a WONDERFUL trip to Boston. I took off Wednesday from SFO.

Boston- On the Way

Lucky me with a window seat!

Anastasia Socks- Finishing

I finished the Anastasia socks on the way there. Just had to wait until I landed to bind off since I didn't have a needle on the plane. Official FO pics later on...

My friend Laura was nice enough to let me crash in her adorable Beacon Hill apartment for a couple of nights before we headed West for the wedding. We had all day Thursday to hang out in Boston. I'm supposed to tell you that the trolley tour was my idea. But really, she's always wanted to do it and needed someone to visit as an excuse. Good enough for me! We hit the trolley circuit for 6 hours on Thursday and went all over the City. Here's a sample of everything we saw...

Boston- Beacon Hill

Laura's street- I miss East Coast architecture.

Boston- Fenway Field

The field at Fenway. Too bad the Sox were away. I would have loved to see a game.

Boston- Citgo Sign

The Citgo Sign

Boston- Delish!

Pizza and arancini in the North End. California is also seriously lacking in good pizza.

Boston- Laura Digs In

Laura digs in!

Boston- Waterfront

The Waterfront.

Boston- Architecture

More Architecture.

Boston- Make way!

And, of course, Make way!!!!

Friday, we headed out to Western Mass to Laura's family's house. They were kind enough to host us for a night. Check out her amazing house.

Boston- Sweeney Home

It's built in the 1800's and her family has meticulously decorated and maintained it to preserve it's historical integrity.

Boston- Sweeney Pond

This is their front yard! It's a lovely place to enjoy coffee and a newly cast on sock. But more on that later too!

Boston- Sweeney Studio

Laura's dad is an art professor. And this is his studio. I'm so jealous!

Saturday was the wedding and (since I'm an idiot) I didn't get any pictures until later in the evening. Needless-to-say, it was lovely. The bride glowed. The groom looked at her adoringly. And everyone danced until very late. See...

Boston- Ninne's Wedding

The camera phone doesn't hold up in the dark!

The night ended in a little bit of pain for me. Someone had broken a glass earlier in the evening but I thought it had been throughly cleaned up. As the evening wore on, my shoes started to hurt and I took them off to keep dancing. You can see where this is going, right?

Boston- Man down!

Yup- that's my blood on a napkin. Luckily, I have a doctor friend who was thinking more clearly than I was. She took me into the kitchen of the country club where we pulled a nice hunk of glass from my toe. It was pretty funny actually since no serious harm was done.

After brunch on Sunday, we headed back to Boston to catch our flights home. The drive back gave me plenty of knitting time...

Boston- The Pike

Mass Pike and Marigold socks!!!!

Boston- Headed Home

Finally, headed home to San Francisco on Sunday night. It was a wonderful weekend with lots of time with my best girlfriends. I couldn't have asked for a better vacation. More pictures on my Flickr Set.

The Contest... Thanks to WiKnit, I had 56 votes. Holy cow! I hope some of you decide to stick around.

25 votes for Marigold in STR.
20 votes for Tessarae in YP.
11 votes for Jenny Wren in Noro.

I officially cast on for the Marigolds on Thursday night while Laura tried to ignore me.

Boston- New Project

I used the random number generator to pick a winner from those who voted for Marigolds... Congrats, Andrea! I'm emailing you today about your surprise package!

FO...

Anastasia Socks

Pattern: Anastasia Socks by Minty Fresh
Yarn: The Knittery Merino Cashmere Sock in Orchid
Needles: KP dpn's in size 2.5
Date Started: 10/5/07- Can you believe it???
Date Finished: 5/28/08
Mods: None. The pattern is so great!

Anastasia Socks- Done

Even the swirls match up!

Finally, the May edition of the Rockin' Sock Club arrived while I was gone. Click here to see a photo. I'm sure you've seen it already but I'll still hide it just in case.

Did you make it all the way? Thanks for hanging in! I think I need a nap.

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger PurlingPirate said...

What a wonderful trip!!! Beautiful home your friend's family has! So glad you had a good time! Lovely socks!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I KNEW you would cast on the Marigold socks - that is a lovely color and pattern! The Anatasia socks are great too!
I also love the East Coast, but confess that I've never been to CA!
Wyoming, yes, but not to CA.
Glass in your foot - you didn't suture it yourself did you? :)
Maybe you could remove the sutures - if they were needed!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Kim Mears said...

Lovely finished socks. The Marigold socks are beautiful too! Can't wait to see them finished! Sorry about the glass incident. That is no fun. Looks like otherwise, you had a great time!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Yay! I won!
Love the new STR.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Great trip pictures! Looks like you had fun. I heart Boston.

Great FO!

Congrats to Andrea.

I plan on stickin' around. Hope you come visit my blog!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

What a great vacation, and the socks look awesome! :)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Great new socks! The Marigold's look pretty cool too! Looks like you had a wonderful time! Very well deserved after all that hard work:)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

What an awesome trip....love all the pics! The Anatasia socks are beautiful and can't wait to see the Marigold ones done! Hope your piggy is feeling better! ouch! hugs

4:20 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm so glad you had such a great trip! The socks look awesome. =)

5:42 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

next time I'm going with my first choice. Lovely finished socks.
awesome vacation time too

5:48 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

It looks like you had a great time. Hope your foot is feeling better! Great socks. Their on my list to knit along with the bazillion other patterns I want to knit. :~)

7:23 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time!! How gorgeous is your friend's family home (and a studio for knitting....we can dream!!). Set me up in those chairs with that view anyday!!

The Anastasia socks look fabulous and I love love love the Marigold socks!!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Wow - it's weird to look at your blog and see my landscape! Looks like a great time (other than the stepping on glass part).

Congrats again on finishing your program (late better than never, right?)!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

sounds like a good trip! jealous as it has been years since i have been home and miss it as well. what a gorgeous house your friends family has!! socks look great. oh, congrats to the winner!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Awesome AAR and awesome Anastasia socks!

Hope your toesies are feeling better.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Fabby pictures and a very nice sock to end with!

3:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like it was an awesome trip! Great Anastasias & yay for starting the Marigolds!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun. I hope your toe is feeling better.

I am bummed that I did not win, but I am too busy enjoying the pictures of your finished socks to care.

4:59 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Love the Anastasia socks! What a neat looking pattern. Looks like your trip was awesome.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home