Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

As you can imagine, today is a tough day for me. I miss her more than I can say. But something funny happened at lunch. I was working at the hospital in the neuro ICU. (So far, my favorite unit.) I went outside at lunch to just stretch and be away for 5 minutes.

A bluebird hopped around me and looked at me quizzically. It was so blue and didn't seem to mind me staring at it while it snapped up crumbs from the lunch tables. I know this sounds crazy but I just felt my mom. She used to email me when a certain bird decided to hang around the feeder in the front yard. The week she died, a cardinal was there day and night.

The rest of the day was crazy and exciting and really pushed me. And now, maybe I think it was her. Nuts, I know. But for some reason, it feels very real tonight. (But I might just be emotional.)

I hope every mother in your life feels important and special today. Because, no matter how mad you are at her or how misunderstood you feel, you love her more than you know. And, without her, you wouldn't be the person you are.

7 Comments:

Blogger peaknits said...

I think that just might have been your mom - I believe He works that way!:) Glad it could make your day a bit brighter!

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your day was made a bit brighter...you may be right, that may have been your mom stopping in to say hello.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

I am sure it was your mommy! You know it in your heart and Love is all there is. There is nothing more important that transcends everything we know as mortals.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Totally agree that your mom's watching over you! I think those things are cool. You were on my mind yesterday, along with the daughter of my friend who just died.
As a mother of a NICU baby (24 weeks), I salute you. I am so grateful for the care she received. Today, she is thriving, and you'd never know. You should see her hit the baseball, left-handed and all! YEAH!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Sending you love and hugs!

6:24 AM  
Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

I'm glad that bluebird brightened your day. You never know.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

What a beautiful idea : )

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home