Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Green Day

Happy Earth Day, Everyone!

I just wanted to share with you the 5 things I've done this year to "be green." I know it's not a ton. But little changes are more likely to become permanent.

1. We didn't use the heat all winter. While we live in Northern California, it still gets cold at night. Not snowing but chilly. A down comforter and wool socks later, no heat for us. I can't promise to be so good with the AC when it hits 115. But we'll try.

2. I switched to green cleaning supplies. Between Shaklee and learning to make my own, we're nearly chemical free in the cleaning department.

3. We joined two CSA's- one for produce, one for grain. I have to point out again that we live in an area where this is pretty easy to do. I also plan on hitting the farmer's market more this summer. There's really nothing like farm fresh eggs.

4. I met my carpool buddy the first week of school and we've been joined at the hip ever since. That's 1/2 the 25 mile trips to school and clinical sites this year. So what if people are starting to call her my wife!

5. Reusable grocery bags. I know, that's a really obvious one. I keep them in my car so they are always available. And I've even had the cashier wait while I run out to my car to grab one when I forget. There are lots of cute options out there now. Or you could make your own. I don't want to have to go all Joan Crawford (oops! Thanks, Ruth!) on you... "NO PLASTIC BAGS.... EVER!!!"

OK- 5 plus 1... No more plastic water bottles. That's HUGE. There's just no need, you know? I can easily carry a Nalgene. (OK- I have to get a new one without that new bad chemical.) I actually drink more water when I have a bottle with me at all times. Good for me. Good for the planet.

So that's about it. Little things. That I hope will make a big difference.

8 Comments:

Blogger peaknits said...

Way to go - those are some big things! The Earth and this earthling thanks you:)

3:40 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Great job! This past year and half I've cut out the water bottles too...we have our own well...my son calls it Wolfe Water! I need to do the grocery bag thing, but I'll need a ton of them...never leave Walmart without a full, full cart! Hubbies on a vanpool too....all our light bulbs inside and out are those energy saving ones. Happy Earth Day!

6:30 AM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

Oh geez, I already have our A/C on here in Dallas. I just can't give that up.
I have been using a make your own laundry detergent and I've pretty much always made my own cleaner.
I really need to do so much more though. Especially now that I can pass on those good habits to my son.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

You bet I'll be using my AC this summer. Go Green but don't kill yourself doing it. :~)

I'm working on getting reusable bags and making some too. I can't wait for the farmers markets. I love fresh veggies and my own garden isn't possible right now.

We swapped to spring water delivery which actually saved us money plus the bottles are reused. We get the 5 gallon bottles.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Good girl! We all thank you! I wish there was a way to carpool doing home health nursing! :) Hee hee!

PS - just so you know - the job market is still pretty good. I just got a market increase today - totally surprising. And the increase will be in tomorrow's paycheck! :) YEAH!

3:09 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

Good job! I'm a rather militant recycler - our recycle truck comes every two weeks and I usually have 2 48 gallons trash cans overflowing for them.

p.s. It's Joan Crawford. Bette Davis talks about strapping in for a bumpy night!

9:03 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Very cool! I need to try and be more green.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home