Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hope Springs Eternal

We live in a little apartment with a little balcony. Every year I try to grow something with pretty poor results so far. The rosemary bush is the only thing I've put in a pot that has stayed green more than about a week or two. In fact, it grew so well that I had to re-pot it this Spring. So today I headed out to the local hardware store to get a larger pot.

I figured, now I had a smaller pot that needed a new plant. And then, I saw a cute window box trough planter that looked perfect for herbs.

So I present, the "garden" for 2008...

Our little garden

Milo is a little too interested in the spearmint. This may be trouble. The kitties don't seem to like the rosemary (on the right) but they really liked the thyme I killed last year.

Herbs

The herb trough. Left to Right: Peppermint, Oregano, and Sage.

Spearmint

Spearmint planted into the old rosemary pot. I read that spearmint grows like crazy so I wanted it to get it's own pot to try and control it. I know. You're thinking... why'd you put the peppermint in the trough then??? Won't it take over all the other herbs??? Well, the nursery didn't have basil that I really wanted. And if I find that later, I can always add a pot. (You see how this could get out of control, right?)

Eva goes green

That is.... if the plants survive more than a week of my black thumb and Eva's curiousity.

8 Comments:

Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Grow garden grow! I've been meaning to plant some basil...maybe this spring I'll try again!

11:27 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Oh yes, watch out for the kitties and the mints. Catnip is in the mint family. One of my guys goes for anything mint, including tea bags. Which he shreds. All over the floor.

Good luck with your garden!

6:14 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

This is awesome! See great minds think alike he he... I have been meaning to do something similar... That Chia Pet experiment got me thinking again about an herb garden. I actually have this pretty long planter in front of my house that I could use.. hmmmm

Lovely garden!

6:52 AM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

I did an herb garden last year. The only that grew was the rosemary. I don't like to cook with rosemary but I love to just run my hands through it. Maybe it's time to try it again!

7:08 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

I can't wait to see how your garden grows! ;) I too have a brown thumb but would love to grow some herbs. Perhaps you will inspire me!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

It's so great to grow your own fresh herbs. Sending green thumb vibes your way!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mint really is hard to kill, and is so nice added to salads throughout the summer! I used to have a deck with herbs, back in Philly, and always hit a point mid-summer when I would lose my motivation to water everything and then poof, it would be gone. so sad!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I always kill everything I try to grow too. It's so sad. Good luck this year!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home