Tuesday, January 08, 2008

What a Difference 3 Days Make

I'm totally back to my old self. OK, I'm still rockin' a pretty decent cough. But I no longer need to sleep for 20 hours a day to function. YAY!

I had my first weekend rotation on the pediatrics floor. And I can tell you, I'm not cut out for that specialty. The kids there just break my heart. They are so sick. Yet, they are just regular kids who want to color, play with play dough, or stickers. I just wish I could cure them all tomorrow. And I have so much respect for the parents that have literally moved in to their child's room. Seriously, stage 4 cancer should be outlawed in a child. I don't think I could handle this day in and day out. My hat's off to anyone who could.

Just to lighten the mood, here's a skein I bought a while ago and finally got around to photographing.

Knitterly Things Vesper- Sweet Water

Vesper yarn- Sweet Water

We're having another storm coming through the area today. So I'm curled up on the Lazy Boy with a cup of tea and my last knitted Christmas gift. (oops!) Hope you are warm and dry wherever you are!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

NOw that is a sweet stash yarn. Lovely colours. I hear you on the Christmas knitting. It soon will be birthday knitting if I don't get going.

5:00 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Yowza - the yarn is lovely! Glad you are feling better and finding such depth in the pediatric experience - how difficult but rewarding. Buckle in for those storms and stay warm!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

That yarn is great! Very cheerful!
Pediatrics is really hard...and you're right. Cancer in a 4 year old is heartbreaking. We were patients at St Jude for many years (not cancer) with my eldest DD. Those kids always inspired me, and made me weep at the same time.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

The yarn is lovely. the childrens wards are hard aren't they.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

I Love Vesper --and of course being the yarn hound that I am I have this color:) I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Guess what, last night I dragged myself to the doctors and sure enough I have an ear infection too!

In terms of your job rotation --I am with you I know I would not be able to cope with terminally ill kids. It would break my heart.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I'm like a drunken sailor the day I feel better after being terribly sick.

Love that yarn. So much envy, so little time. :-)

I don't know how anyone in healthcare does what they do. Add kids into the picture and it must be heartbreaking.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

I don't think I could handle it either, it's just so devastating.

The yarn is adorable! I love the colors. :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Wow, great yarn! You can no longer find the Clear Converse...ugh
Are you doing Woolgirl sock club? I have no idea what the heck to do with the pattern. It calls for 1 circ size 2 with 32 in. length (which I don't have yet) but then in the pattern it says to ignore needle one and work needle two...I would only have 2 needles to start with...very confused but love the package!
My hat goes off to you for working with terminal kids...I just couldn't do it. Cancer is such a horrible thing for anyone but to see a child going through it...:(

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home