Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Welcome 2008

After sleeping most of the day today, I'm am starting to feel a little less foggy. Since I have my first 3 hour pediatrics lecture tomorrow, there's no time to waste. I won't complain too much though since I have Thursday and Friday off before working the weekend.

As some of you know, I don't really do resolutions. I do New Year goals. I've been mulling these over for a while and here's what I've come up with.

1. Focus on my weight through focusing on getting healthy-
In spite of starting off strong, I actually put on 15 pounds this year. All of that has come since I went back to school. My weight is really out of control. So this year, it's even more important for me to make a big weight loss push. I'm headed into a career that is very physical and I can't risk injury and loss of work days by being unhealthy. 45 pound weight loss goal.

2. Buy local and organic ingredients- This one goes with #1. Think good and hard about what food I buy and consume. To follow a healthier, more green existence, I'd prefer to eat mostly organically and locally produced food. But the first step to this is cutting out processed food. This is January's goal. Cheese especially will be tough. (I love Kraft singles!) And does anyone know a good organic beer???? If you haven't read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I would recommend it.

3. Shop deliberately- I'm in a huge "no more crap" cycle. I'm sick of clutter and mess and chaos. And I don't need more stuff. This includes yarn. I'm not going on a yarn diet or promising not to buy anything. I just want to take a more deliberate approach to how and where I spend my money. A lot of this has to do with me not having an income. But even when I do (hopefully around July), I don't need to run rampant with my consumerism. I have plenty of stuff- as evidenced by the 4 garbage bags of clothes I just gave away. Smart shopping instead of bored shopping.

4. Pass the nursing board exam and land a job as an ICU or NICU nurse- Ideally at a level 1 trauma hospital.

5. Read more books for fun- Being in school makes this tough. But I think I can still fit in a chapter a night or so. Balance. It's all about balance. I have a ton of great books from Paperbackswap.com. I need to read and pass them on!

I think those are challenging but also reasonable goals. I tried to do weekly updated last year and I don't think I'll do that again. It got tedious for me and I'm sure for you too. Instead, I'll maybe throw in updates here and there like when I find a great Farmer's Market or finish an interesting book. I just don't want to tie myself into a set format. Sound good? Good.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger KnittingMoose said...

I think your goals sound great! I too need to work on the weight thing, big time. And the whole idea of just eating healthier is definitely the way to go.

I am also totally with you on the clutter issue...I have a really tough time getting rid of stuff so my new thing is to try not to accumulate it in the first place. I've been doing pretty well so far with not purchasing knick knacks like I used to!

Good luck with all of it, and Happy New Year!

6:34 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

I think your goals sound great! I don't know of any organic beers, but I read a recent article (and I can't remember where, arrugh) that said that it's more important to buy local than organic, emvironmentally impact-wise. So go with a good local brew and you're golden. :) As for the reading, do you listen to books on tape while you're knitting, or in other down time? I started doing that about a year and a half ago, and it has really made a good impact on my sanity. I listen while cleaning, on my 20 min commute, while knitting. It's good for a try!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I'll concur on the local over organic, as even the organics are going agribusiness.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I too need to focus on the weight loss thing! So awesome..I didn't know you're going to focus on ICU or NICU! Jimmy was a 2 month early preemie...very scary time! Good luck!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

They are great goals, I especially like the clutter one! i think you will achieve the Nursing goal, you work hard. :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

The goals are all great! I am with you on the "mindful" purchasing - I'm sick of so much crap coming into the house - including yarn - clutter makes me crazy so why would I keep gettin more - ugh. Good luck with the weight - it's a lifestyle, not a diet - best thing I ever learned from Weight Watchers:) And the job goals are incredible - can you believe how far you have come with your school - such a big risk and look at you - living the dream! Way to go!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I think they're great goals - some of which I'm working on too! (I've been in grad school for 4 years and gained about 25 pounds - I guess what they say about stress and weight gain is true!!) I hope your illness is over soon!

3:20 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

Those are great goals - they equal a few of mine!! Weight watching, de cluttering and filling the empty hours with useful stuff.
You can do it.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

You have a great goals! I agree with the weight issue...I'm not horribly overweight, but I weigh more now than ever, and I hate how I look and feel.
Love you NICU goal - my youngest DD was born at 24 weeks and weighed 688 gms (1.5 lbs). She is doing great, and is almost six years old now. We are so blessed.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently tried an organic Belgian beer called Foret. By no means local, but tasty! I have a soft spot for Belgian beers.

I've also been trying to think more before I buy. It's under a lot better control (especially with yarn - once I reached a certain point I started feeling horrible about the Yarn Situation), but I can't resist media.

Good luck with your goals!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home