Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Freezer Runneth Over

Today I went to The Full Plate in Walnut Creek. This is a food assembly business. There are tons of them. My Girlfriend's Kitchen is national. You sign up, go in, and assemble meals into freezer containers. I made 12 meals for 6 people in about 2 hours. The menu is pretty varied. Although, if you are veggie, you have more limited options. This is a TON of food. Just look!

Full Freezer

Not the prettiest picture, I know! But the top of my fridge is PACKED with food. I have to make enchiladas tonight because they won't fit in my fridge. See the white labels? Those all hold meals that are pre-made and ready to go. So convenient!

Likes: You get to choose what you want to make from their monthly menu. (Fewer options for veggie people.) There are lots of veggies in each recipe. Each dish is made with REAL food. No processed anything here. I now have at least 24 meals for Brian and I. (Since the servings are for 6 people and there's just the 2 of us.) They give you the nutrition facts for each dish and include that on the stickers attached to the outside freezer bag. And, best of all, there's no need to chop anything. It's all ready for you to assemble.

Dislikes: I was a little disappointed by the freshness of some ingredients. For example, the shrimp I put in my jambalaya were already frozen. Same with the fish fillets for the Baja fajitas. It seems like the seafood products were the most prone to this. The veggies, however, were fresh. This helps me with the processed food issue but not with the local food issue. I'm sure they didn't worry about location when purchasing ingredients.

Overall, I had a good time putting together my meals. Next time, I'll try to bring a friend and a bottle of wine. (you can drink but they don't sell.) If I can't get someone to go with me, I'm bringing the ipod. Definitely could have used this time to catch up on my podcasts. Also, I'd clean out more space in the freezer. I'm a little scared to open it!

Verdict: The enchilada's were good. And there's a TON of them. Good thing I pack lunch for school!

6 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

I would like to try that sometime, but I need to get another freezer first!!!
Looks good though!

6:11 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

That sounds like something I my sister and I should try (I be it would help her "cook" more often!).

Keep us posted on how good the food is!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

This sounds so neat. The only thing I dislike about the rural setting in which we live, is that it's 25 minutes to the nearest grocery store, let alone having anything of this type near us. Good for you for making healthy choices!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I have seen some of these places in my area, and they pique my interest... however, I would be concerned about the veggie options and the freshness of the food.

Thanks for blogging about it - and enjoy all of your food! :)

5:04 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Pretty Cool! I've been thinking about doing this for a while too. They have a place out here in Los Altos near my work where I could take a couple of hours and get this done.

Let me know how the rest pans out:)

Have fun with all these neat entrees:) And HURRAY for no cooking every night!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that's the fullest freezer i'v ever seen!

ps. my life has turned quite topsy-turvy and i haven't gotten your package in the mail yet. apologies!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home