Monday, January 21, 2008

It's Raining! It's Pouring!

I think it's funny when it rains here. People lose their ability to drive or even function! And tonight it is supposed to snow down to 1000 feet. This is EXTREMELY cold for the Bay Area. And people are freaking out. Being from the midwest, this cracks me up. Not that I'm particularly hardy anymore. In fact, I've become a weather wimp since moving here. But no newscast in the Midwest advises you to leave for work early tomorrow since it will be raining. Cracks me up.

I'm furiously procrastinating for my pediatrics midterm tomorrow. (Developmental stages be damned!) I don't know if it is the weather, January, or senioritis but I am finding it really hard to commit to this rotation. Maybe it's just because I know peds isn't my thing. But this class is going really slowly. Not to be too whiny!

I did receive the latest installment of the Yarn Pirate Booty Club. You can see it by clicking here. (why didn't I think of the linked pic sooner?!?!?!) This one is BY FAR my favorite. The colors are so rich! I find myself wanting to cast on but not wanting to at the same time. Do you ever have that? It's too pretty not to use but you don't want to use it up.

I have a confession to make. I haven't knit any of my sock club yarns. Ever. Weird, right? Isn't that the point of a sock club? You're supposed to challenge yourself by using new colors and techniques? Wait! I did knit some of the Petals Collection into a baby sweater. But I'm not sure that counts. Anyway, this leads me back to the living deliberately goal for 2008. A lot of lovely yarn lives in my stash. It seems like I should remember that when the urge to buy hits. It worked last week when Knitterly Things updated her Vesper sock yarn. I went and looked. And then closed the page. Even though I really wanted to buy. It's the little victories, right?

Finally, I wanted to ask how you manage it when someone asks you to knit for them. It's such a flattering thing to me. But at the same time, I don't really have time. And there are 1,000 things I want to knit for myself. (Yes, I'm a selfish knitter!) I think the yarn harlot or Brenda Dayne suggested offering to teach them to knit. What do you think?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

This months Booty Club shipment is gorgeous. It almost makes me wish I wouldn't have dropped the club.

I'd offer to teach the person to knit.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, that colorway totally reminds me of Fleece Artist & some other indie fall colorways.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That Yarn Pirate colorway really is gorgeous! I've started doing the same thing with yarn too. Yeah, it's gorgeous, but I already have so much! But now I buy fabric instead, so I guess I just moved the problem into another area! lol!

9:41 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Figures right when I cancel my booty club the next color is absolutely fabulous! Oh well!

Congrats on the little victory! I've had a few of those this month as I'm *trying* to resist. One strategy that has worked a bit..I left all my new sock yarns from the holidays out on my desk in a basket to remind me how much pretty sock yarn I already have.

Oh, the requests for knitting. I've gotten better that its only for my family now...but they can get a bit particular now and are placing orders as soon as I finish something for them (oh yay! socks! love them...can my next ones be green!). I guess I can't really offer help :)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Only knit for someone else if you want to and like the pattern! Otherwise teach them to knit! That yarn looks gorgeous doesn't it.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I always deflect the question when someone asks me that - tell them it takes me forever to finish things.

5:11 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Funny about the rain...we kind of get that "freak out" mode around here too (southeastern PA). Today we're expecting rain/snow for the evening commute...people will be talking and worrying all day!

I have a coworker who expressed an interest in my knitting her something (my feathery lace wrap!)...which I agree is really flattering! However, what she doesn't realize is how long that took me to do!! and that was for me! lol. So yeah, I'm right there with you, I too am a selfish knitter, what can I say? ;P

5:32 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Love the Yarn Pirate yarn! I must admit, I can abstain from buying sock clubs and such because you always show them. Then I come and comment and say "How pretty!" and close the window and go on with life. :)

As far as the people asking you to knit for them, I guess it depends on who it is. Anyone other than family, I just laugh, then tell them how long it would take and how much it would cost. That usually shuts them up. Family, I just kind of drop the subject. My SIL recently "put in an order" for a sweater (her words). She's a wonderful person and I love her a lot, but I'm not making her a whole blasted sweater unless I get her name for Xmas again. Then it will be out of bulky yarn. :)

5:53 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

The Booty is gorgeous - my favorite so far too and I cancelled - darnit:) But cancelled for the reasons you speak - I need to be more deliberate - good word. When people ask me to knit, I'm flattered for a second and then I cringe. People have no concept of the time that goes into a project - well, non-knitters anyways. I have offered to teach them to knit - I have only had one taker:) You see, they also usually think "I don't have time for that" - funny how they think we do huh?

6:35 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

You know I received my YP booty club yarn also. I suppose its a good thing that the colors were so rich and gorgeous and made me gasp--just as I was opening up the package I swore that if I did not like the contents I was cancelling 'cuz I have yet to knit one pair of socks from my booty club! I also belong to STR and TV Club Sock Yarn. I have worked some of the patterns but not as many as I guess I should have. The Rockin Sock Club ladies call this "Sock Poser" he he....

As for knitting for others... I would only take it on if you really care for them and if they really understand the amount of work involved--particularly socks! Otherwise encourage them to learn!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Rochelle said...

Knitting for others? I usually do stuff for co-workers for the holidays (different variations on a theme). Otherwise it is just for close friends and family. I taught one friend because she loved the socks I gave her and wanted a pair for every day of the week - and realized she needed to do that for herself!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

You ask some good questions! I have knit only one of my sock club yarns as well...sigh. But the YP was beautiful this month!
As for the knitting bit, well, requesters are always amazed at the price of nice yarn, and have NO concept of the time spent....UGH! It's tough, and I don't have a good answer!

7:43 AM  
Blogger sharon said...

why oh why did I cancel my booty club. It is so beacutiful. but there is a lot of beautiful yarn in my room somewhere...
Come for a visit and we will go to lettuce knit together.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home