Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Book Meme

I have been tagged by Peaknit for a meme - it requires that I open the book I am currently reading to page 161 and read the 5th sentence, and then tag 5 people...

Book I'm reading: The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

Quote: "Every Hmong refugee has an exodus story."

Comment: I'm on page 80. This is the story of a Hmong child with epilepsy growing up in Merced, California. The medical community does not understand the Hmong and the Hmong don't understand the doctors. So far, it's a really interesting comment on cultural competency. The author is pretty even handed. She isn't overtly pro-Western medicine or unduly critical of the medical establishment. As I head into pediatrics, this book is really timely in that it's hard to manage the treatment of a child with parental misunderstanding or disagreement.

Tagging:

I'm not going to tag anyone. But feel free to play along!

Along with Peaknit, I'm going to list a few of my favorite here...

1. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck

2. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

4. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingslover

5. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I'll do this - but you will have to wait until I get home ;)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Carry said...

Oh, I LOVE both The Spirit Catches You and The Good Earth (I first read The Good Earth in junior high...I think I even still have that copy on my bookshelf...love, love, love it!)

I can't open the book I'm reading right now, as I am at work and it's at home on my bedside table... :)

8:53 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Thank you for playing along - I so should go back and add Kite Runner to my list - loved that book and kind of want to see the movie, though it sounds even more tragic in color.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Okay - mine is up - check it out :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

I grew up outside of Fresno where there's a HUGE Hmong community (Merced, CA's not too far away from there). The Hmongs used to buy up all this really crappy, cheap land and grow strawberry fields and sell them in these rickety wooden shacks at the edges of the fields. They were the BEST berries - Huge (as big as your palm) and sweet. We'd call them Hmong berries. Anyway, all that land they bought is now prime property in Fresno!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home