Saturday, December 01, 2007

Whoppa Heads

I knew I'd get the knitting smack down for thinking I was ahead of the Christmas knitting. Little did I know it would be an anatomical issue. I just didn't realize how big my family's heads are. We are definitely Whoppa Heads. Take Koolhaas for example. I got gauge. I knitted it to the pattern. It's too small for my head and WAY too small for Brian's head. And I'm pretty sure my BIL's head is not smaller than mine. I'm probably going to rip back to before the decreases and add a couple of pattern repeats. Nuts. For now, I'm putting it in time out. I can't deal at the moment. Since it's actually done, I'm giving you the FO post. Although I may have to revise the post later. (Unless I can figure out a relative with a smaller noggin.)

Koolhaas- Sort of done

Pattern:
Koolhaas by Jared Flood
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca in Salt & Pepper
Needles: KP Options size 7
Date Started: 11/25/07
Date "Finished": 11/29/07
Mods: None really. Next time I'd pick a less hairy yarn to show off the pattern better. But the Ultra Alpaca is nice and soft. It'll be plenty warm if I can get it to fit over someone's ears!

I'm going to start on Odessa for my sister. I went to buy beads but Joann's was packed and I didn't want to wait in line for a $3 pack of beads. I'll start the ribbing and see.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - it is beautiful, in spite of the size issue - I think the same ting happened with mine - it ended up fitting my sister but I had hoped it would be a bit longer - live and learn. I may want to make an Odessa too after being reminded of it by you - thanks! :)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

For what its worth, the hat looks great. I'm having the opposite problem....the hat I just finished is too big. :~)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Very nice!

5:12 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Sucks to the big heads! It does look very nice, though, if that makes you feel any better. :)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another great hat!

I don't know if it's you & your family. I thought I read that a couple knitters in blogland also found the Koolhaas hat to be on the small side.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

It came out great! I love the way the different yarns really influence this pattern. I need to add it to my must knit list.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Beautiful job!

4:24 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

OK, I'm not family but I've got a pretty small noggin!

Barring that, maybe you and lovs2knit could just trade hats?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Rochelle said...

I also have Koohaas in my queue, and when looking at the pattern I was concerned about size. 16"? My eight and ten year old kids have heads bigger than that! It is beautiful, though. I guess I'll try with some bigger needles?

Odessa is another pattern I want to do, I'm hoping the beads I've had in my attic from BC (before children) will work. That Grumperina rocks, doesn't she?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I like the 'hairy' yarn - looks soft and cozy. My family's heads are also quite large :-) No hats for christmas!

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home