Thursday, December 13, 2007

Catching up with you!

Oh my goodness! I just emerged from the crazy fog of finals. I still have 2 more clinical shifts this weekend. But all the class work is done. YAY! Starting Sunday, I'm on vacation until next year!!

First things first... I have to send out a HUGE thank you to Kristin from Knitting Kris. I was one of the random winners in her blog contest! The package arrived yesterday but I couldn't get it until today.

Prize Package

Her favorite Christmas movie- White Christmas. Yummy candy cane kisses. And a great card. The best thing? Inside that card is a gift certificate to The Loopy Ewe! That's the best gift EVER! And there's a certain yarn that I'm going to stalk in the next sneak up. I hope I can snag some.

New Earrings

Finally, check out these great earrings that were also in the package. They are the perfect color for me. I've been wearing lots of gray and blue lately. Thank you so much, Kris!!!!

Knitting Update- I ripped out the top of the Koolhaas to make it longer. I think 2 more repeats total will make it perfect.

The Baby Surprise Jacket for my friend Susan's son was finished in time. But it was a complete disaster. I forgot to take a picture before ripping it all out. The whole thing was misshapen and looked much more like a bolero than I was comfortable with. So I cast on last night for the Child's Placket Neck Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I'm making good time and although I missed the shower (there were back up gifts), I think I can get it to her before we are officially on break.

Finally, I learned to make cheese. I know. It's totally random. Once I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingslover, I wanted to make cheese, raise chickens, and live off the land. Unfortunately, the only land I have is a 4x6 concrete balcony. But cheese making I have the room and the means to try. So I ordered the 30 minute mozzarella kit from New England Cheese making. Last Monday night became home made pizza night. Plain dough from Trader Joe's, canned organic sauce, portabello mushrooms, and my cheese. Check it out!

Pizza Night!

Yummy! I made the pizza and then threw it in the freezer for 30 minutes so that the dough would crisp up on the oven rack. Even Brian raved. I think I'll be making cheese again soon.

Now, I'm just vegging out, knitting, and waiting for grades to be posted. More regular blogging to resume immediately!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Camille said...

I'd love to raise chickens too. However there are some problems:

1. My dogs would eat them if given the chance.
2. There's no way I could kill them for meat.
3. If they were egg chickens, well we don't eat too many eggs.

So I just found a local lady who is dogless to get our eggs from. Yummy farm eggs!

2:30 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

Looks like you found time to chill even with all the finals. You were busy.

7:07 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - what a great loot package from Knitting Kris, those earrings are fabulous! And the pizza, yum-o! Now I want to mkae cheese while reading Barbara Kingsolver!

7:45 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yay for finals being done! And yay for fabulous packages!!

And I have to agree, that pizza looks delish!!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Have a great break and I hope the grades are what you want! Lovely pressie there and your cooking looks fab!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I'm so glad that you like your package! I know you'll spend your gift cert to TLE well! Good luck on exams! You'll do fine, I'm sure! :)

2:49 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love the package you lucky girl! Hope you did great on your exams...so tough especially this time of year! I've got to get that book! I've been bugging my hubby about raising chickens...he's agreed on the greenhouse..even alpacas but chickens...The pizza just made me so hungry...how awesome. I got the pasta maker thing for my mixer...we could have an Italian party!:) Keep up the studying, you're doing a great job and going to make a difference in the lives of many people.

6:57 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Oh, White Christmas! That's one of my favs, too.

You made *cheese*? Holy cow (pun intended). I suppose I should be doing stuff like that, given where I live. I have room for sheep, for pete's sake. I have considered keeping chickens, but I have a feeling that the cats would terrorize them into hyterics.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home