Monday, September 03, 2007

Taking off the Blinders

I've been thinking a lot about my knitting this weekend. (Yes, I should be thinking about studying.) It is suddenly clear to me that I have been blinded by sock yarn. Almost my whole stash is sock yarn. Don't get me wrong! I love knitting socks but I think I need to branch out. It all started with the infamously frogged Hourglass Sweater. I finished that just about the same time I made my first pair of socks. The socks turned out perfectly. They fit. They were fast to knit. Loved them! And you all know how that sweater turned out. I think I was foolishly put off from garments other than socks because of that first lumpy, bumpy sweater attempt. Today I passed the arms on Wicked. (I think this will be a short sleeved version but we'll see.) And I'm really enjoying this knit. And it looks like it'll turn out to be wearable. (fingers crossed.) So now I'm feeling the pull of other garments like Tangled Yoke and the Katherine Hepburn Cardi. Except for a sweater's worth of Elann Peruvian Highland Wool, too bad I really only have sock yarn in the stash. Getting back to garments opens up whole new world.

Of course, if my Wicked turns out poorly, I may stick to socks for good. HAHA!

I had another good mail week this week.

Dream in Color Kit

I ordered the Dream in Color Tulips kit from Threadbear. They have several versions to choose from. After seeing the finished article at Yarn Harlot and Pixie Purls, I had to have it. No one I know is having a girl. So this'll be a knit for the gift box kind of thing. Don't be afraid if they tell you it'll be 4-6 weeks for delivery. Mine came in about 3 weeks. It's going to be so cute!

I also got my August installment of the Scout's Indie Swag Club. There are two pictures. So if you don't want the yarn surprise to be spoiled, don't scroll past the picture of the swag.

Go Knit Pouch

A Go Knit pouch!!!!! Love the color. I've been contemplating one of these for awhile.

This was inside...

Yarn Nerd- Chuck T's

900 MHz Merino sock yarn from Yarn Nerd! The color is Chuck T's. Very nice! I was really surprised to get yarn from someone other than Scout. But I'm excited to try Adam's yarn too.

Finally, some advice for the weekend. Don't go on Etsy if you've been drinking. I'm just saying...

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger peaknits said...

Good luck expanding your stash beyond sock yarn - I am in the same boat and have no good advice:) I was happy with the Scout goodies too - I have a knit pouch but who couldn't use another?:)

3:29 PM  
Blogger Nea said...

I had a similar revelation when I was reorganizing. A good sweater always has a way of making you see past socks when they turn out well.
Wicked is a great pattern and it is sure to turn out beautifully.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

I'm there with you on branching out. I am about halfway done with a sweater for my husband, and I am really contemplating Tangled Yoke as well. Maybe we need a KAL!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha. i've been on etsy after drinking. that's how i get all my awesome stuff ;).

i'm going to order one of those baby jacket kits. how cute :)

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heh, I'm trying to knit my sweaters so I have more room for my sock yarn stash. But sweaters are always a crapshoot of fit for me. Good luck w/your Wicked.

Thank goodness that I only signed up for 3 months of Scout's Indie Swag 'cause I'm so behind on all my sock club packages. Love the Chuck T's we got this round. The Go Knit pouch matches perfectly.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

What lovely yarns you have!

I hear you on sock yarns. That's pretty much all I have too, because I've really never knit an entirely successful sweater. I think that one is on the books for this winter - but only if i swear to measure twice, knit once!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I like the sound of your wicked, look forward to seeing it done! Those yarns and your go knits pouch are great.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

yummy pictures, such lovely colours
Suzie Sews

4:37 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Maybe you could knit yourself a sweater out of sock yarn? Is that sock-blasphemy?

12:05 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

The cover sweater from this month's Magknits.com is made with sock yarn!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home