Friday, September 21, 2007

I have no will power

The title implies that I'm trying to avoid yarn purchases. And, although that's what I should be doing, I'm not.

It's starting to occur to me that I may like buying yarn more than I like knitting. (And I love knitting.) Because I'm on vacation, I've been trying to hit some of the local yarn shops that I've never been to or are a little too far to be my LYS. This is a mistake when you aren't supposed to be buying yarn. Never-the-less, I think it's good to know what's out there. Usually I just pop in to Article Pract in Oakland which is about 10 minutes from my school.

First stop- Knit This, Purl That in Pleasanton, California. I have to mention that I live about 15 minutes from this shop and I've never been there in its current incarnation. (It used to be Main Street Knits which I went to once.) Since it was Thursday afternoon, I was the only person in the shop. The 2 ladies working there were pleasant and offered help without being pushy. I was specifically looking for Rowan Felted Tweed. I'm contemplating the Tangled Yoke Cardigan and I wanted to feel the yarn. Unfortunately, this shop doesn't carry Rowan. But I was treated to my first feel of Malabrigo lace weight.

Malabrigo Lace- Purple Mystery

It's really a purple color and not so blue. The color is called Purple Mystery. I tried to fix it in photoshop but it is not to be. This yarn is so freakin soft. OMG! Seriously. I'm thinking Ene or Muir.

I also picked up the addi lace needles and a cake shaped tape measure from Lantern Moon. I don't know why but I'm totally addicted to the cute tape measures from Lantern Moon. I have a bee, a ladybug, and a black sheep too.

Today I went to Stash in Berkeley. But I'll tell you more about that tomorrow when I get photos of the yarn I bought there.

ATTENTION!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!!!! Don't scroll any farther if you don't want to see the Yarn Pirate or Yarntini sock club packages.


Seriously.


I don't want to get in trouble for spoiling!!!


OK- Here comes the photos....

Yarn Pirate- Butternut

Yarn Pirate Merino/Tencel Sock Yarn in Butternut. I think this would make a really cute baby sweater. And it's certainly seasonally appropriate since Fall landed in the Bay Area this week.

Yarntini Sport- Fuzzy Navel

Yarntini Sport in Fuzzy Navel. I haven't tried her sport weight yet. So I'm psyched about that. This shipment also included Fuzzy Navel lip gloss and some double point needle protectors. I originally balked (for about a second) at the price of the yarntini club. But they've done a great job including lots of extras in the shipments that have made it a better deal. Between the project pouch, sock book, ebony dpns, and the dpn protector, the club has really delivered.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

On my gosh!! I love love love that Yarntini colourway. It's breathtaking.

8:47 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Sounds like you had a good haul, can't wait to see what else you got. I have no willpower either, Peaknits and I were NOT going to join the Yarn Pirate club, well....we are now both members. Something about yarn makes all your willpower fly out the window.

4:25 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Here I am, the other willpowerless one. :) I cannot wait to see what you come up with with that Malabrigo - I kick myself when I remember not getting it last time I saw it - it would just be nice to sleep with like a doll, it is sooo squeezable. And that Tangled yoke cardigan is amazing - I may have to follow in your footsteps if you try it!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I'll be getting up the jealous bandwagon when you start that yoke cardigan. And the yarn you have is to die for.

I think my yarn willpower comes directly from blog stalking. It's much easier for me to savor everyone's yarn than it is to have my own.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Ok, you know what though? I don't know how anyone could resist that malabrigo lace once they've touched it. SO SOFT!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home