Saturday, September 22, 2007

Helicopter Alarm Clock

We live across the street from an Army training base. (Camp Parks) This morning I was listening to the gentle drops of rain coming down on our concrete balcony when suddenly, the violent whir of a helicopter interrupted my morning haze. Milo, the scared kitty, was especially upset by the sudden noise and has spent the rest of the morning behind the futon. So far this morning, there have been at least 6 helicopters making passes around the neighborhood. Or maybe there are 2 helicopters that have made repeated passes. Which ever way it is, we're unlikely to see Milo anytime soon.

Now I'm up and running a little earlier than I wanted to be. Oh well. There's lots of football and tea to enjoy on this rainy Saturday.

Yesterday, however, was a gorgeous day. I set out to visit Stash Yarn and Elephant Pharmacy in Berkeley. These stores have nothing to do each other but are located in pretty close proximity. And I don't make it all the way to Berkeley very often.

I hadn't been to Stash before. I think I may have found a new favorite place. The ladies working there were friendly. We talked about Ravelry and new knitting books. They let me pet a new sample that just came into the shop without pushing me to buy that yarn. The shop is loosely organized by gauge. But there are pretty tables in the middle that house Habu and other specialty yarns. There's a comfortable place in the back of the store to sit and sort through the new books and magazines. If this shop was 15 minutes closer and I didn't have to pass through one of the worst traffic areas in the Bay Area, I'd be there much more often. I felt very welcome and very inspired.

Of course, I couldn't leave empty handed. Not after I'd spent an hour hanging around and reading new pattern books.

Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton- Sage Twist

Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton- Willow. I'm not usually a fan of cotton. But this is so soft and cuddly. Plus, I'm starting to stash for my potential niecephew. (to steal a term from Ashley) This yarn is perfect for baby knits.

Colinette Jitterbug- Velvet Bilberry

Colinette Jitterbug in Velvet Bilberry. Deep, lovely purple. I wasn't going to buy more sock yarn. But I can't resist yarn in the color of my beloved Amherst. Go Jeffs!

Today I'm feeling a little crappy. I have some sort of nasal issue that alternates between me not being able to breathe and having snot running swiftly down my upper lip. Charming, I know. With the rainy weather, a nap is definitely in order.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

Gorgeous blue yarn. I am drooling over it. My SP11 sent me some - Cherry tree hill (or whatever it's called) in blue.
Thanks for the spoiler alert - I actually managed to resist scrolling down this month!!!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

WOW! That jitterbug is amazing. Purple is such a hard color to find in a good shade.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home