Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Going Green

So back in February I finished the Green Quilt Top. And I set it aside for other projects. (I can't believe it's been since February but Flickr's dates don't lie.)

I finally got around to deciding how I wanted to do the back. And once that decision was made, finishing the whole thing went lickety split!

Green Quilt Front

Green Quilt (with a curious Eva kitty)
Pattern: Flock of Triangles from Denyse Schmidt Quilts
Fabric: I got a 1/2 yard bundle from Purl before I even knew how to sew. That's the front. Then, I realized I needed a back and ordered that from Hancock's of Paducah.

Green Quilt Back

I took the easy way out on the back. But I think it balances the busy front pretty well.

Green Quilt Nubbins

Instead of machine quilting this blanket, I tied it with 100% wool yarn. I like how it looked until I washed it. You guessed it! My cute little ties felted. Now they look like little wool nipples. I still think it's cute but it was cuter before. Trust me.

Green Quilt F-B

Here's the semi-artsy shot of the front and back.

I did some things wrong with this project. The batting shifted when I washed it. So it's a little lumpy. The ties felted. And it's not quite square. But as the weather gets nicer, this crib sized* blanket will be a perfect study/picnic blanket.

*There are no announcements to be made. I simply made a crib sized piece because that's all the fabric I had and didn't want to commit to more of a project than I was ready for. After all, it's the first sewing project I started when I got my machine.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang it has been that long. I remember when you first posted about it. :~) Time does fly!
The blanket looks great. I've thrown together a few blankets for my oldest and even though they weren't professional quality my kiddo loved them. Now kiddo #2 is using them. :~)

7:01 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

I love this quilt - you picked wonderful fabrics - the back is great, I love the brown border! I used to sew so much, and then I had kids - knitting is just so much more portable. But it hasn't stopped me from buying bits of Denyse Schmidt and Amy Butler Fabrics along with their books:) You may have inspired me to get back down there to my machine:) Thank you!!

8:07 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Wow! That's your first big sewing project?! Inspiring. Really making friends with my sewing machine is on my to-do list this summer :)

10:53 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

wow, i can't believe that's your first project. it looks beautiful! i love all the greens.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

That's really lovely! I love seeing quilts people have made - it's one of those skills I don't think I'll ever master, so I appreciate it in others all the more!

12:11 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

That quilt is bea-yoooo-tiful! And what a challenging thing to try for your first piece! I love it!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

I love tis quilt, its colour the look of the texture...lovely
Suzie Sews

7:10 AM  
Blogger tapmouse said...

Gads-I love this quilt pattern! So simple and so clever looking when you alternate the solids with the prints-doh! Love the fabrics!

My first quilt was a 'picnic' quilt and is about 40" x 40"-it's fun to have a quilt you can just toss over your lap or sit on.

12:47 AM  
Blogger gretchen said...

that quilt is gorgeous!! that's it, teaching myself to sew.....

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home