Sunday, June 17, 2007

Goals Update- Week 23

Boring title but I hope a good post.

Today is a lovely day. The sun is shining but it's not too hot. A nice breeze is blowing. It's a great day for laundry and studying. And as wonderful as this day has become it started out a little rough. We live across the street and down a bit from Camp Parks- an Army (I think) training center. Usually it's no big deal. But this weekend is helicopter training. So early this morning I thought we were under some kind of attack. Choppers have been flying around all morning. Milo kitty was pretty nervous as well. And she started doing the scaredy meowing thing. Then, a jerk off who lives up the road really likes to rev his bike up and down the access road. This happens all the time. It's funny because it's not a place where people are walking around looking. He's just doing it for the hell of waking me up every weekend morning. I have fantasies of throwing eggs at him or even shooting him with a BB gun. I would never do these things but it's fun to think about. Other than the noise pollution, it's been a lovely morning.

Hey look! Actual knitting content!!!

Yikes Stripes- One Done

These were supposed to be done in May. And only 1 is done by June 17. Remember, there are no strict knitting deadlines. They are plain vanilla socks with a short row heel and 2x2 ribbing on the cuff. The Vesper yarn in Astro is fun to knit and really reminds me of the Yarntini base yarn. This is also the first sock I've done as ML. Maybe the second one will be done by November!

In other knitting news, Valerie wrote about great knitting book deals on amazon. So I popped over there to snap up a cheap book. I got Knit 2 Together for $5.50! And since I can't resist free shipping, I picked up Lace Style and Eat, Pray, Love (as recommended by Peaknit). There's not a lot I want to knit out of Knit 2 Together. Maybe the doctor's bag. Lace Style, on the other hand, has 2 definite knits- Lily of the Valley Shawl and Katherine Hepburn Cardigan. Oh the plans I'm making for time I don't have....

If you haven't picked up Eat, Pray, Love yet, go order it now! I'll wait. OK- as a disclaimer- I'm not a self help book kind of girl. And this book, although somewhat in that vein, is really about self discovery through 3 different cultures- Italy, India, and Indonesia. So many things written in it are really resonating with me. Mostly, I'm drawn to the idea of living a more thoughtful and deliberate life. Elizabeth Gilbert writes about her path. She doesn't recommend, coerce, or try to convince the reader that she's right. She merely says this is what she did. I'm tearing through it and I know I'll read it again. I may even send copies to friends. My mom would have loved this book. Thanks so much to Peaknit for pointing me toward it. I haven't had a book touch me this way in awhile.

Plants Growing

My little garden- Rosemary on the left. Thyme on the right. I show you this picture because I have a notorious black thumb when it comes to plants. I kill everything. And shockingly, these two are not only still alive after 4 weeks but growing. I'm stoked!

We have a little 4'x6' patio balcony thing since we're in a 3rd floor apartment. It gets a lot of light and a lot of spider webs. We haven't really tried to make it nice out there since, no matter how many times I sweep or scrub, it's still dirty. I was watering the plants a week or two ago and the kitties escaped and promptly rolled around on the concrete. And now, every time I head out there, they are right on my heels for their daily roll.

Eva Rolling

Eva

Milo Rolling

Milo- What's up with the tongue???

Aren't they cute? Of course they come back inside covered in dust and cobwebs. But they LOVE it. So who am I to deny them?

Goals-
1. Thin for Thirty- I have a plan. It's shipping as we speak. So far, I'm still over January's weight by 4 lbs. That's much better than the 11 lbs. I was over my starting point a couple of weeks ago. I want to be back at starting weight by the end of June. Then 10 lbs each in July and August. That should get me about 10 lbs. from my goal by my birthday. I can live with that. As long as I'm at goal by Christmas.

2. Knit from the Stash- I joined the YP club. And I scored some Vesper yarn on ebay. (Don't worry, I didn't over pay.) So an equivalent $ amount of yarn has to go. The destash will happen on Monday evening. I'm pulling it all together today. There's going to be some good stuff.

My feud with the USPS continues. The Palm Pilot was supposed to be delivered yesterday and it wasn't. And when I checked the tracking site last night, it said a note was left but I have no such note. UGH!!!! I really wanted to play with it today. And now it'll be held hostage until Tuesday since I won't get home from school in time to go to the post office tomorrow. They make me crazy. Oh well. This is the world teaching me patience yet again.

Nell and Dad at Blarney

I leave you with a picture of me and my Dad at Blarney Castle last December. (Ignore my crazy hair, it was windy.) Happy Father's Day, Dad!!! I love you.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a guy like that. He'd come out and rev the engines on his 2 motorcycles and 2 ATV's. He always picked early morning or late at night.
The Vesper socks are looking good. I have a skein of that in my stash. I've been trying to decide if I want to use it for myself or share it with the kiddo's. :~)
I have a ton of books I want to buy but am holding off on buying more until after we move. More books equals more weight.
You're kitties are cute and they look like they are having fun. Mine goes crazy when I open the back door because the sun shines on the floor and the pot of cat grass and cat nip just happen to be sitting on the back porch. :~)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

What's up with Eva's feet on the screen? It made me snicker. The socks are lovely :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

I am so excited you enjoyed Eat Love Pray as much as I did - "resonate" is a great word. Yay!

I laughed out loud when I saw the cats - all belly out! And nice picture of you and your dad - Happy Father's Day to Him!
I'm dying over your destash teasers...

1:42 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Can't wait to see the de-stash, I held out on the YP, but now wish I hadn't, but it's probably for the best! I also loved Eat Pray & Love, great description, and a good gift book for people.

3:04 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

The sock looks great! I've been meaning to pick up Eat Love Pray...I might need to now after your praises.

Awww..Ireland! I've got a similar picture of my dad and sister and I at one of the castles too! Happy Dad's day!

4:03 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

Great socks!

The guy with a motorcycyle? What a tool. It's motorcycyles rides like his that confirms his tiny naughty bits.

Can't wait to see your destash!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Sock --and very pretty scarf you are wearing in that vacation shot with your Dad!

Nice to be in touch with antother Bay Area knitter:)

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home