Sunday, May 20, 2007

Goals Update- Week 20

I has a lovely afternoon with my older sister and her husband. We had lunch outside and then went to look at houses. My sister is a lawyer at a fancy schmancy firm on the peninsula near Palo Alto. And she's looking at million dollar houses. I'm not saying this to impress you- quite the opposite. Her million dollar house is potentially a 2500 square foot condo. And, apparently, the $600,000 houses are places you really wouldn't want to live until you put a LOT of work in. California real estate is so ridiculous. We live in the East Bay and prices are a little better here. But it just baffles me. This nursing thing is going to help up move a little farther away from the immediate Bay Area. Maybe we'll be able to buy then. Sorry for the rant. But I grew up in the Midwest and my (semi) frugal nature won't allow me to buy a million dollar condo. That's just crazy.

My older sister and I don't always get along. Unlike my little sister and I, we aren't as close as I'd like. But today was lovely. She even bought me a career change present. Something that was totally unnecessary but very much appreciated. Hopefully with time, we'll get back to a better relationship.

Anyway.... Goals....

1. Thin for Thirty- UGH! To be honest, I'm not trying. And I really need to try.

2. Grad School- Classes start in 9 days. Squee!!!!! Can't wait. Books from amazon have shipped. I got a great deal on a sports watch with a timer. Things are lining up. My last day at work is Wednesday. I'm going to clean the house and throw/donate lots of stuff on Thursday and Friday. Long weekend. Then school!

3. Save Money- This one is getting dropped from the weekly updates. Since I get my last check this week, it's just not realistic anymore. I'm proud of what I've been able to save. And I'm in good shape for the next year. This hasn't ever been my strong suit. Brian's the saver, thank goodness! So I'm really happy with what I've been able to accomplish.

4. Knit from the Stash- There's going to be a relaunch here as well. I'm going to try to go the whole year I'm in school. I'm not sure it's realistic. But I certainly have enough yarn to keep me busy all year. With no money coming in, I have to really be smart about yarn buying. No $3 lattes and no yarn. I think it's doable. Besides, I have sock clubs coming every other month or so. That's almost like buying yarn. Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself.

That being said, I did manage to score a little more Yarn Pirate before the ban goes into effect.

Yarn Pirate- Patience

Patience

Yarn Pirate- Mermaid

Mermaid

Yarn Pirate- Malamute

And the much stalked Malamute. She's also taking special orders on 8 colors at her shop. Hey, if I can't buy it, you should!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

No yarn for a year?!?! The horror! Not that I don't entirely understand, but I'm glad that you now have a stash that includes Yarn Pirate. That should ease the pain. (also: loving your Clapotis! It is truly lovely.)

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in So. Cal, I know what you mean about the real estate. There is no way I would pay that much for a condo....call me cheap! :~)
I really hope you and your sis can find some common ground. My baby sis and I had nothing in common and weren't close until she moved out and joined the military. She ended up stationed at the same base as me. Since then we've been really close.
Shoot....tempt me with the yarn....lol. I'll be glad when I can buy a little more yarn pirate. I love all three colors you got.... very nice.

10:04 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Family is tough sometimes:) Glad you had a good time.

Lovin' your pirate! And god luck on those continuing goals - especially school - how exciting (and damn brave:) to be going back!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i am honored that some of your last yarn money was spent on yarn pirate! thanks for the plug :)

2:32 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

OH I have to go to PIRATE now. Yours is lovely.

I do believe that one is as happy as one wishes to be regardless of money as long as they are above the poverty level. :)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Once again I am stunned and amazed by the beauty of the handpainted yarn you have acquired recently.

Sounds like the next few weeks will be a little crazy! I hope your knitting and gorgeous yarn can give you some respite and serenity.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I know what you mean about the house prices - the house we bought in February is a great deal less than a million dollars - but it is also 4 times as much as my parents'
house cost!

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home