Saturday, October 14, 2006

This Week

Can you tell the difference in the color of these toes? Yeah, me neither!!!! Thanks to Thea, the Pomatomus Socks are saved and the toes are done. (The one on the left is the one that was short.) The knitting gods are going to give Thea lots and lots of love for being my sock savior!

This is what Thea sent me. Three little balls of Koigu goodness. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would work out perfectly. YAY!!!!! I'm so excited. Frogging a whole sock to downsize was definitely an option. But not an option I was looking forward to. The Knitty Board saves me again!

Here they are. All done and they fit so well. When I put them on, I can tell which one is bigger. But it doesn't really matter. Notes! I have to keep better notes about needles and such. I certainly learned my lesson. Finally, I have something finished for Socktober.

Pattern: Pomatomus from Knitty
Yarn: Koigu KPPM- 100% merino- color P118L (and a little something else)
Needles: Mostly Bryspun flex dpn's in size 3- better notes needed.
Started: In August for the first one
Finished: 10/13/06

I cast on Tuesday for Hedera socks. (No, I'm not stalking all of Cookie's designs. Really, I'm not.) These are in Sundara yarn in the Emerald Isle colorway. Which is appropriate since my sister recently moved to Ireland for culinary school. So far, I love this sock. The repeat is easy to remember and the lace looks really good. I just turned the heel and I'm headed for home. Hopefully I can finish this one off this weekend while I watch baseball.


Here's the yarn. The depth of color and the variations that exist are just really beautiful.


I'm addicted to sock yarn as you well know. Here's what jumped into my online cart this week.

From Yarn Pirate- from top- Punkin Head, Clementine, and Rosie- The yarn looks bumpy in this picture but it's not. It's soft and lovely and it'll make great looking socks.


From Yarntini- Hope (perfect for breast cancer awareness month)- This skein is HUGE!!!! Maybe knee highs???? Pink knee highs for me? Whoda thunk it?


From Misocrafty- Awesome knitting pouch. Fits yarn for a pair of socks. Fully lined. Elastic bands keep needles collected. And the fabric is so adorable. I love this. It keeps my project handy and the handle makes it easy to grab and go. Yahaira has them at Pureknits. And soon, Jo is going to sell them online.


Look at everything it holds! At least 2 (probably 3) skeins of yarn. It'll definitely be going to Ireland with me in December. I think I can fit at least 2 socks in progress in there. Such a great idea.


Finally, more Socktoberfest questions answered...

Do you have certain patterns planned for some of the yarns? Do you buy yarn and then choose a pattern?

I buy sock yarn because I love it. I figure out the pattern later. That's the only yarn I don't know what I will make when I buy it. You can buy sock yarn on a whim and never worry that you don't have enough. With a sweater or anything, that can be risky.

Does a certain sock yarn you have in your stash take you back to a certain event? (where you were when you bought/received it? what was going on in your life at the time!)

I don't associate yarn with events yet. But I do get on "kicks." Like right now, I'm on a Yarn Pirate kick. So I suppose I can match that back to this time in my life.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it worked out! I love your other new sock yarns too, seems you are quite the sock goddess.. Must get to knitting up some of mine soon.

Thea

5:45 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

I love all of your socks, I think I need to make some of each! I'm terribly jealous of your new yarn, can't wait to see the socks they will become. I think I'm going to get set up with some Punkin Head next week - good stuff! And I simply love, love Yarntini! Great minds think alike! (and thanks for your comment on my 5k - I'm trying to plug away and be patient - not my strongest point!)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

holy moly! There has been a lot of cart-jumping going on. I'm too jealous!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Such great socks and stash! Happy Socktoberfest!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Found your blog thru a Google search of speckled Koigu). Wonderful things you bought - love the Koigu and pomatomus pattern. And what a cool knit bag, looks like the perfect sock knitter's bag! Terry

1:44 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

It seems like I've already commented on this post! But since the post came up again on my bloglines, I thought I'd comment again! The socks and the yarn all look great! I got myself a Misocrafty pouch as well and I love it! I don't leave home without it! I buy yarn, whether it's sock or not (but esp. sock) because I love the yarn, and then I wait until a pattern inspires me usually. I am going through my sock yarn stash later today to choose the next couple pairs to make.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home